Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Would bankruptcy be our way out?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cowboys14
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2012 :  20:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, We have a joint mortgage on a property that is £30k in negative equity and has been on the market for a year. We have found a buyer but Nationwide have refused a short sale. Our mortgage is £1100 a month just in interest which is really a stretch and is not even touching the capital.
I am 3 years in to an IVA just in my name. We want to get out of debt as quickly as possible. It looks like our only option now is to hand the keys to our house back and stop paying our mortgage. Then when they sell it for a stupidly low price and we know the full amount of our shortfall we can deal with our debts jointly.
With this brief description of our circumstances, does Bankruptcy seem like our best option?

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2012 :  23:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi cowboys14,

Sorry you're having to go through this when you've been in your IVA so long.

I know that you mention on your posting on our sister forum that you've spoken to your IVA company. I suggest you speak to your IP directly as they will give you some good advice.

If you have no other assets, then bankruptcy could definitely be an option, so could a second IVA.

I notice from your post on our sisiter forum that it's just you in the IVA. Has your wife any other debt apart from the shortfall?

Please speak to your IP and feel free to contact an expert on here to chat it all through too.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

cowboys14
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2012 :  07:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vicki,

Yes it is just me in the IVA. The only other debt my wife has is her interest in a £2000 ovedraft with the Halifax ( of which my half is covered in my IVA ).

I am going to speak to my IP today to consider my options. I had a variation to my IVA last year to take in to account a potential mortgage shortfall although if we hand the keys back the shortfall will be more than antcipated and will probably need another creditors meeting to approve.

If I can do that I will be clear in 3 years and perhaps my wife could do an IVA for the shortfall instead of us both going bankrupt.
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2012 :  08:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cowboys14,

I've replied to your email. If you want to chat, you know where I am.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page