Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I thought once I was discharged that was the end of it ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

John.sp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  10:11:48  Show Profile  Visit John.sp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been discharged for over a year now and have just received a letter from the receiver saying they have just been through bank statements for the 12 months prior to bankruptcy and have a number of questions for me.
At what point do they stop asking questions? I thought once I was discharged that was the end of it?

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  10:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John and welcome.

Do you have an IPA/IPO?

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Go to Top of Page

John.St
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  10:49:51  Show Profile  Visit John.St's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply

No I have neither

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  10:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would've thought everything would've been dealt with prior to discharge.

I've not quite reached that stage myself.

Maybe debtinfo who posts on here can shed some light on the matter.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Go to Top of Page

John.St
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  11:07:18  Show Profile  Visit John.St's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would have thought so too - although I am happy to co-operate of course, I thought this was all done and dusted and I could move on etc. Stressful keep getting requests so long after the event, and I wondered really if there was some sort of time limit on them being able to keep asking for things

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  17:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No the Discharge is just the date at which the liability for the debt is discharged, your obligation to the bankruptcy proceedings remains indefinitly until all matters are concluded however long that may be, for instance an IPA is 3 years, a family home is 3 years, most other assets are indefinite and the investiagtion phase is until it is completed and can always be reopened if new information comes to light.

It is a little unusual that it would come out of the blue if nothing has been done or said during the bankruptcy year, but the only way you are going to know is by talking to the OR, do you have any idea what it may be about?
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  18:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi debtinfo,

For my benefit,
If you have finished all proceedings with property, vehicles, (they've been removed from your estate), no IPA/IPO,
Can you ask the OR/Trustee if all proceedings have been concluded at discharge of BR?

Is it normal for them to tell you if everything has been concluded?

--------------
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  18:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They might tell you, but of course its never really ever completely, over because there could always be something that has not been declared, but the person would probably know that themself if you had something lurking.

No case is ever so completely closed that it could not be reopened
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2012 :  18:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the prompt answer.
Thats fair enough.
I've no skeletons in my closet, but like John.sp, at some stage or other would like to feel a final line had been drawn under things.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2012 :  12:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So can they give you an ipa even if you have been discharged?

Finally got head out of sand in October 2010
BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2012 :  13:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, the IPA has to be in place prior to discharge.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

The more I have to do with humans the more I think that the world would be a better place if it was run by animals.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Anna

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2012 :  14:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just under 3 weeks till discharge and the OR looked into my bank statements as far back as 3 years and sent me a letter with some questions which i promptly replied to and have spoken to them since regarding creditors with no mention of statements. This was about 3 months into BR. So since i only have 3 weeks left will i hear from OR again or is that it once im discharged? Regards Anna
Go to Top of Page

John.St
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2012 :  08:32:20  Show Profile  Visit John.St's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anna you are discharged automatically after 12 months unless you hear anything to the contrary, but as I am finding out that does not necessarily mean the OR has stopped going through things. It means you are discharged from your debt but the OR can continue to investigate after the date. Assuming you have nothing to hide though the worst is over and you are on the way back now :)

Go to Top of Page

Most worried

77 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2012 :  09:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

I am absolutely certain that I speak for allot of people when I say that reading this post hasnt had the most positive impact on my BR-experience!?!
I was discharged in June 2011 without any IPA etc and hadnt been on any mortgage etc....but now Im thinking that my life still hangs on in the 'balance' of my OR somewhere...???
Im now really depressed about the thought that in actual fact Im not 'free' to get on with my life at all!?? Maybe out of the blue my OR could ring and ask why I spendt £40 in Tesco in Feb 2011??
My case was according to experts a pretty straight forward one with no assets and I did have compensation given to me from a car accident, but that took over 2 years and a whole heap of medical help due to badly damaged back/proven by doctor.

So please tell me if at all us ex BR are ever going to be able to let go of this and really get on in life...??

....so depressed...just totally deflated!!

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2012 :  11:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess this one will be for debtinfo to answer.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2012 :  18:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are free to get on with your life, you only need to worry if you havent been completely honest with your OR, think of anything else as just finishing the admin, for some people some assets take longer than others to deal with, but that doesent stop you getting on with your life, it only affects the things that are hanging on from before the bankrupty, even if you have done something untoward before bankruptcy then if you have been honest about it then the OR should complete their investigations within the 12 months.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page