Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi, anybody out there who went bankrupt after 50 years of age
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Casey.sr
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2012 :  19:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Casey.sr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, anybody out there who went bankrupt after 50 years old and managed to lead a normal life again?

Also, if you are on JSA will the court fees be reduced and if so by how much?

Third question, if you have a bank account abroad I know that you have to declare it, but will this account be frozen too? And if so how is this going to happen, will the OR write to the bank the account is held?

Many thanks.

x

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2012 :  20:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum.

There will be people who have gone bankrupt over the age of 50.

I'm not sure about JSA with court fees - if so then I believe that it is about £125 that can be discounted but I could be wrong about the amount.

You will be expected to tell the OR about all of your financial dealings but I've no idea what would happen with an overseas account.

Please have a chat with an expert - we have several who post on here and their details can be found under the experts link on the left hand side of the page.

The advice is free.
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 25 September 2012 :  07:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi casey.sr,

If you are in receipt of income based job seekers allowance, the you will be entitled to £175 off the court fee, so you will need to pay £525.

Yes, the OR will contact the bank abroad.

I have lots of clients over 50 and they manage just fine, better in fact as they have no debt problems.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

Paul 50
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 25 September 2012 :  12:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Casey.sr
I went BR at 49 now at 52 and I can honestly say life gets better as each year after BR passes. Now looking towards my next challenge of obtaining a mortgage, difficult I know but I hope not an impossibility !!
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Casey
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2012 :  22:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Paul and to the other two replies,

Many thanks for answering, this is quite reassuring and makes me feel much better.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer. And to Paul, I keep my fingers cross regarding your mortgage.

Best wishes,

C

quote:
Originally posted by Paul 50

Hi Casey.sr
I went BR at 49 now at 52 and I can honestly say life gets better as each year after BR passes. Now looking towards my next challenge of obtaining a mortgage, difficult I know but I hope not an impossibility !!
Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Casey
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2012 :  22:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you very much, Viki, much appreciated. Best wishes, C
quote:
Originally posted by Viki.W

Hi casey.sr,

If you are in receipt of income based job seekers allowance, the you will be entitled to £175 off the court fee, so you will need to pay £525.

Yes, the OR will contact the bank abroad.

I have lots of clients over 50 and they manage just fine, better in fact as they have no debt problems.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Go to Top of Page

Casey
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2012 :  22:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Niobe,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will follow your advice and contact one of the experts. Best wishes, C

quote:
Originally posted by Niobe

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There will be people who have gone bankrupt over the age of 50.

I'm not sure about JSA with court fees - if so then I believe that it is about £125 that can be discounted but I could be wrong about the amount.

You will be expected to tell the OR about all of your financial dealings but I've no idea what would happen with an overseas account.

Please have a chat with an expert - we have several who post on here and their details can be found under the experts link on the left hand side of the page.

The advice is free.

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2012 :  22:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know how you get on and the forum is here agt anytime for support and advice.
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2012 :  11:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Not sure what you mean by this question to be honest. Bankruptcy can happen whatever age you might be and I should imagine it has the same impact whether you are in your twenties or sixties. I guess the older you are, the higher the possibility that you have property, although that is a rather naive assumption, especially in this day and age. I will finally be free of the 6 year ruling by the time I am 51, so I certainly hope I can look forward to living a normal life again after that. Whatever constitutes normal.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page