Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 We have had our home repossessed and have a lot of debt. Would we both have to declare BR ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janet.64
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2013 :  20:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Janet.64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Myself and my husband have had our home repossessed. We also have a lot of debt such as credit cards and personal loans which are currently not being paid. Some of the debts are in my name, some in his And some joint. Would we both have to declare ourselves bankrupt or is there a way to consolidate the debts so only one of us have to pay the £700 court fees.

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 30 November 2013 :  08:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Only one of you need declare BR but be aware that the other will be chased for their debts plus joint ones, including any shortfall from the sale of your house.

There is no way to consolidate the debts, if you both declare bankruptcy then you will both pay the fees. If you are on certain benefits then you can reduce those fees as the court fee is waived.

Have a word with either the CAB or an expert, we have a couple of those that post on here and whose details can be found under the expert section on the left hand side of the page. The advice is free and you will be advised as to all of the options open to you.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2013 :  11:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Janet,

As Niobe has said, it sounds like you will both need to declare bankruptcy separately, paying £700 each.

Please make sure you speak to an expert to chat everything through and see what other options are available.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page