Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 negative equity - how do i prove it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kramsenrab

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2008 :  10:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure that our property is in negative equity, we have a mortgage and a secured loan, which we believe gives us a 38k negative equity. I have spoken to an estate agent who gave me a rough 'ball park' figure, but how would I get a true valuation, ie one that an OR would accept so that the house is safe in BR?
Thanks

hammy0107

399 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2008 :  10:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OR is unlikely to accept an estate agents valuation and besides you wouldn't want to use an estate agents valuation anyway. An estate agent gives a high valuation, whereas a chartered surveyor gives a real valuation, this is usually a few thousand less than the estate agents. Allied Chartered Surveyors are probably the biggest and the one used by most lenders, the OR would usually accept a valuation from Allied. Should cost you £150 + VAT but this is money well spent. I think with the amount of negative equity you mention, you won't have a problem.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Trolly-Dolly
Average Member

591 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2008 :  10:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no more money! First the fees, then the cost to buy BI (£250), then the cost to buy LA (£50-£200) and now this! We have two estate agent letters, do you think that will do? I say that because we owe £127,000 and the house has been valued as follows: Estate agent 1: £120,000 - £125,000 and Estate agent 2: £125,000 - £130,000, giving an average of £125,000 therefore approx negative equity of £2000.

You can read my blog here;

http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

kramsenrab

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2008 :  12:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks hammy, I have decided to sell my car now to raise the fees to be able to go BR, and keep the rest for the OR. Should I arrange to have the valuation done before filing?
Go to Top of Page

melanie_giles

1191 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2008 :  12:58:49  Show Profile  Visit melanie_giles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The OR will accept an estate agent's valuation, and they ought to get their own valuation as well jsut for comparison. If your property is seriously in negative equity, I would not bother with a valuation and just let the OR guide you on what you need to do.

For an informal chat about any financial difficulties, or advice as to the options available, I can be contacted via my website - www.melaniegiles.com
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2008 :  15:40:51  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Melanie,

It is quite common in these circumstances for the OR to arrange a drive-by valuation. I'm not exactly sure why, but they do anyway!!!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

kramsenrab

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2008 :  18:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A drive by?? As I understood, estate agents would probably value slightly higher than a surveyor, and even with the one rough estimate I have been given, we are about 38K negative equity.
So leave it to see what OR says?
Thx
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2008 :  22:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kramsenrab
with that level of negative equity I would not advise paying for a valuation. The OR will know all about likely comparisons between surveys and market appraisals by estate agents. If the equity was somewhere near borderline they may choose to look more closely.
Likleyhood is in your case that the OR may do no more than look at recent sales in your postcode / area for like for like property.
Save your cash.
Go to Top of Page

kramsenrab

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2008 :  22:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx for advice, I have taken some further advice and will follow that from now on. I'll keep posting on my progres...
Go to Top of Page

indy2005

458 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2008 :  22:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I wouldnt give to be in negative equity right now....how ridiculous
Go to Top of Page

leslie.p

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 09 July 2008 :  15:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me too
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 09 July 2008 :  17:41:55  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The way the market is at present, you may well be in a few months. Be careful what you wish for :)

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page