Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 Stigma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scared

United Kingdom
220 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2008 :  15:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very anxious about people's reactions to our br. My husband and I are going br at the end of the month. I have a twelve year old daughter. Am worried about what her friends will say. We live in a small town and when it is advertised in the paper, word will get round. We cannot pay the mortgage or secured loan, so the house will be repossessed. As we haven't got enough money for a deposit on a house, we will have to move in with my in-laws. However, every time my husband mentions br to them, they are tearful.

Any tips on how to manage? Am feeling at very low point.

melanie_giles

1191 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2008 :  15:37:51  Show Profile  Visit melanie_giles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If these people really will notice the advertisement, and I imagine that half of them won't and the others probably won't care, then just tell them that you have made a few bad financial decisions but that you are determined to pull yourself out of the problem and move on. Most people will have some form of debt that they are worried about - be it growing credit cards or struggling with a large mortgage, so hold your head up high and remember that you are doing this to make your lives better, not worse.

For an informal chat about any financial difficulties, or advice as to the options available, I can be contacted via my website - www.melaniegiles.com
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2008 :  13:14:40  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Scared,

The fact of the matter is that out of the 46 million adult residents in England & Wales, 15 million are in financial difficulty (1 in 3). The chances are that most of the prople you know are struggling as well.

When I went BR, not one person commented on the ad in the local paper. Focus on the positives which is a life without debt, and you'll be fine!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

pleasehelpme22

222 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2008 :  13:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi me and my partner were also worried about the stigma of BR but both decided we would tell our close friends and family the truth , that way we wouldnt be embarrased if any of them saw the ad. All of our friends understood how ed got into the mess we were in and all of them were supportive.

As of yet we havent heard form anyone else about it , if we do we would just say that it was the best route for us to enable us to lead a normal debt free life for our young family.

We all make mistakes and no one would take the BR route if they didnt have too

Your doing the right thing for you and your fmaliy thats all that matters

Tanya
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2008 :  13:22:45  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your continued support Tanya!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

pleasehelpme22

222 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2008 :  13:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats ok Julian, we all need support sometimes and this website has been invaluable to me throughout my whole BR

Just trying to give a bit back

Tanya
Go to Top of Page

scared

United Kingdom
220 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2008 :  19:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. It really helps to hear from you all.
Go to Top of Page

tess121068

211 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2008 :  19:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one has said anything to me re BR and I havn't told anyone not even my family.

Tess
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2008 :  15:30:11  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tess,

Me neither, to be honest. I told everyone in a way that didn't make a big deal of it, and as a result, nobody else made a big deal of it either!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page