Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 BRO/BRU question in self employment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

debtrider

494 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2008 :  13:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a self employed entertainer. One of the restrictions in bankrupcty or in a BRO/BRU is that "You must disclose to those you do business with the name under which you were made bankrupt" If I am trading under the same name do I have to do this. If I have to tell everyone who phones me about a potential booking that I am bankrupt or have been bankrupt, this will not only be embarassing and I don't think they would book me. I am not asking for any credit from these clients and most of them pay me at the performance. Some may send me a small deposit, would this be a problem.

Debtrider

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2008 :  14:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No this would not be a problem.
Where you have to disclose in self employment is more to do with where trade creditors are concerned.
As an entertainer I fail to see that your customers would benefit from knowing of your BR or suffer if they didn't know. With the possible exception that they may prefer not to pay a deposit but "C.O.D." as it were.

Assisting where I can.
Go to Top of Page

debtrider

494 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2008 :  21:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply Assist.

Could any of the forum experts off any advice on this.

I know it's been a nice day today so everyone will be enjoying the sun, rather then looking at computers. Don't blame them.

Debtrider
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 29 July 2008 :  08:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi debtrider

You should not be taking deposits from clients while you are an undischarged bankrupt or subject to a BRO/BRU. If you are taking no credit from them, there is no need to declare your status as they are taking no risks. However, if you are intending to take a deposit from them, you should declare you status to them.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

debtrider

494 Posts

Posted - 29 July 2008 :  10:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply Suzanne.

I am not bankrupt or subject to a BRO/BRU Yet, just thinking ahead.

I never used to take deposits and I now only take a small deposit of £10 for private birthday parties. The main reason for this was because some clients would book me then and then let me down a little nearer the date, or they would not even show up at the venue.
It did not happen very often but I have had fewer cancellations since taking deposits. Some clients even insist that they send me deposits.

If I did not ask for deposits would it still be acceptable to still send the clients an agreement to sign with a cancellation clause.

I would adhere to all the rules in bankruptcy or in a BRO/BRU but I would think that you be less of a risk when bankrupt in taking deposits then just prior. I have always honoured any agreement with a client since being in business during the last 6 years, so I am unlikely to change in bankruptcy.

Thanks again

Debtrider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page