Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 Insurance Premiums
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sueann

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  11:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just readin Jo's post in Expenditure between BR order and IPA - She mentions that when her car insurance run out she had to pay year up front for her policy. I just roll on my insurance's; car, life and house and pay monthly, I am now panicking that when they come up for re-newal I will not be able to pay monthly anymore is this correct? surely if I just keep the policies going not changing my insurer and they receive regular monthly payments it should be OK to continue.

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  11:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sueann
My circumstances were different, had I stayed with my ins company and not decided to shop around the DD would have stayed in place and i could have continued.
I chose to change co then obviously they do a credit check and I could not obtain the credit side of things for the new car insurance policy, they told me that they dont do credit checks on home and life policies only car, i dont know why but if you stay with who you are with then it should not pose a problem.
Cheers
JO

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it, get a brighter torch!"

You can read my blog here:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/2008/08/24/my-debt-free-future/
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  12:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to change from yearly payments to monthly payments with Churchill.

A word of warning on house insurance - we had a problem getting it as I was bankrupt at the time we moved. When my OH rang round for quotes he was asked if anyone in the household was BR, and when he answered yes they didn't want to know. It might be worth checking your policy details to make sure that you are covered if you are bankrupt.

I have also been advised that you should tell your car insurer, as they can say you have witheld a material fact if you need to make a claim. I phoned Churchill and told them, and they weren't interested, but at least I'd told them.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

zoe

329 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  12:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is an option for you put into your partners name. I was BR but husband was not so we put into his name for house insurance. There was no need to give my details as they didn't ask for occupants
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  12:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It must depend on the insurance company as Dave was asked about occupants, and whether any of them were bankrupt.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

Go to Top of Page

zoe

329 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  12:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Skip
I know confused.com do ask, but maybe because some insurers require this info so its easier to put the question there.
We are with direct line, who did not ask!!
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  12:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave went through the AA, and I think the actual quote was with Norwich Union.

Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  13:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i just called Morethan and Ibuyeco and neither were worried.
My bit about the monthly premium having to be paid infull was because we cancelled the DD to change co's then when we wanted to go back to them or start another one then they did a credit check and so we ended up paying in one go.
Dont panic though, just keep with who you are.
We will be now as it will be a pain next year.
JO

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it, get a brighter torch!"

You can read my blog here:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/2008/08/24/my-debt-free-future/
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2008 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We obviously just found a difficult company! The stupid thing is we were having problems getting insurance as we had moved to a flood risk area (it flooded in 1947 which makes it a risk apparently!) and Norwich Union would insure us against flooding, but when they found out I was BR they weren't interested.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page