Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Personalised Number Plates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ashamed

189 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  19:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any Ideas on what happens on these?

I have a plate on my car which was my husbands grandads and was brought by his nan in 1966 and was passed to his dad when his grandad died and he gave to my husband. We want to keep it for my eldest son as it is his intials and my husbands dad would go absolutely spare if we lost this.

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  19:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashamed,

I dont know how to answer that one for you, but hang on in there and hopefully someone who knows will get an answer to you soon.

Take care

JO

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"
You can read my blog here:
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  19:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I regret to say that this is very much an asset.

The OR will see the reg, either when you disclose on your SoA or when he checks the DVLA (he does that with everyone).
He will then get professional advice as to the plates value.

You or a 3rd party can then purchase it back from the OR. Perhaps negotiation will be required here.
For that reason I hope it's not too high in value.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

harbourmaster

346 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  20:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would the OR find out if it was transferred? I was going to put mine on a retention tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  20:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi H

yes the OR would look back 12 months at the DVLA.
If you put yours on retention then it is still registered to you therefore an asset which would then vest in the OR on your going BR.

I would advise you to enter the plate on your list of assets as, if you don't, when the OR discovers it's existence he may suspect you are hiding other matters too.

0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

Ashamed

189 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  20:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long would they give you or a third party to buy it? I have tried to have a look and there are so many similar plates with such differing values between £1k-£8k.
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  22:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no, we have one of these too and didn't realise they are automatically an asset! We thought it would depend on the value. Ours was bought for £250 so we hoped we may get away with it,but it looks like maybe we won't. So should we put this as an asset too John? Hopefully we could buy it back for relatively little...

Another bridge to cross when we come to it...

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2008 :  23:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashamed & CG
if you know the value is high then it should be listed as an asset along with an estimate of value.

Some plates maybe of value to the individual and not worth much to anyone else so it's a difficult one.

In ashamed's case, as the plate is very old, I would list it as an asset but not put a value (rather than shoot yourself in the foot so to speak).
Let the OR determine a value. The potential 3rd party purchaser should write to the OR declaring an interest in buying the plate from the OR without making an offer. When the OR then comes to deal with the item he'll contact that 3rd party.

In CG's case I would not list the plate as an asset but rather, let the OR decide when he notes the reg if he wants make an issue of it, he may not.
If he does then the negotiation can begin.

0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  08:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phew! John

As i have a personal plate, that cost my mum £250 4 or 5 years ago which is only personal to me as it goes along with my name J19 NYE.

It came of my Corsa in June as the car went back to the finance co and so is now on retention and waiting to go on a vehicle when we can as we only have the one and so my mum has offered to continue paying the £25 fee per year to keep it.

I like CG did not write it on as i never really considered it and as such a minimal amount which is only relevent to my name and my name is quite rare i did not think anything of it.

Should i inform the OR i have it, it will show at the DVLA on the details relating to the Corsa or just wait and see.

I was not trying to hide anything just really did not think about it, i was writing in things like house, car etc.

Please advise

JO

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"
You can read my blog here:
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  16:42:57  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo,

It would really depend on the current value. I would suggest being open with the OR as they will find out. However, I would suggest the value it too low for them to bother, but your cooperation will be looked upon favourably.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  16:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Julian,
Should i write to them now or wait till i hear from them and mention it then.
Im not bothered if i lose it but i did not think it was of any real value and to be honest i forgot till it was mentioned on here.
JO

Keep Smiling
Jo :)

You can read my updated blog here:
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  18:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julian
I am going to write to the OR and mention about the plate when i send down my next letters to them as i do this on a weekly basis so that they have them for their files.
My mum paid for it about 4 or 5 years ago, so if they want it, but then offer it to me within reason i will get her to buy back, if they ask for too much they can keep it as mum said she can another one for the sam price on the DVLA website.
Thanks i will keep you posted.

Keep Smiling

Go to Top of Page

ann.s

238 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  19:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hubby has one I bought it for him 12yrs ago it is only personal to him it dosn't spell anything, It's an old A plate we have just put it on him 18yr old car (so no one knows how old the car is!!!!) I work in the motor trade and have checked out the value and it's only worth about 250 as it dosn't mean anything, plates that have say numbers at the begining then letters or letters and then just numbers are worth alot more thousands, at the last DVLA auction two numbers and two letters went for twenty thousand.

Ann
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  19:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Ann
Are you going to declare yours. Do you think mine is worth £1000's as i looked on the DVLA site and found one similar for the same price.

Keep Smiling

Go to Top of Page

ann.s

238 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  19:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I surpose I should, but as John said I'l not put a value down, as for your plate jo, I wouldn't dare put a value on it as it is personal to you, I know it would upset my hubby if he lost his as he's had it so long, it mean nothing A20FWS just his initials I know my dad wanted to buy my son one to match his dads it was A20CJS for 250 but just missed it (even though he's only 16) he just thought it would be nice for when he gets his first car.

Ann
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  19:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ann
I think i would be lucky to get £200 then that would be a push, i will add on the letter that its worth about £100 - £200 then see what happens or should i not put a value in at all.
What do you think?

Keep Smiling

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page