Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 What to do???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam2008

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2008 :  13:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I have been reading all these forums for months now, sometimes it has made me feel so much better as you realise you are not alone! I just need a little advice please as i am at the moment sick with worry!! Maybe i have gone about everything wrong, i dont know!! But i will try and explain the best i can!
In January 07 i took a business lease for a little shop, which i ran for about 10 months before my youngest child became very poorly, i stayed in liverpool hospital with my child for six long weeks, during this time the shop was closed therfore debts were acumulating! i did not care at the time as my main concern was my childs health, my child was diagnosed with a serious rare illness which would mean constant care from myself! when we returned home i tried to fund the shop and keep it going and pay the landlord the rent for the business, but i realised i could not possibly carry on, as i was getting myself into so much debt and i just needed to look after my child! I gave the keys back to the landlord who said he will be taking me to court for the remainder of the lease, That was back in April, Since then i have had letters from the banks about the overdrafts and letters from the suppliers and default notices sent me! i was really hitting rock bottom, and a family member paid for my family to go on holiday abroad for two weeks! as we had been through so much with my youngest child, i went along with the holiday, i used the back pay from the DLA my child had been awarded to pay for spending money! ( maybe thats where i have gone wrong! maybe i should have paid some of the debts with the money) but i did'nt! went on holiday and it was great to see my child and other children enjoying themselves, after what the whole family has been through, my childs illness has had a big impact on everyone!!
But we are back now and back to reality! with loads of bills and threatning letters through the post everyday! i owe about 30,000 but can not afford to pay the court fees to make myself bankrupt! have just enough money to get by! will a creditor make me bankrupt in the end? just dont know what to do for the best!! My husband only works part time as to help me with my child!!! When will people start knocking at the door for money?

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2008 :  13:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sam

You have had a rough time of late and my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.
Have you been paying your creditors, can you not pay them for a month or 2 and save for the BR fees yourself as waiting for the creditors to take you to court and make you BR can take ages and i dont think reading your post you can wait that long.
As you said your not alone and we are here to help you.
As for the DLA that was intended for your son and i would say it was fine but i dare say if im wrong someone will correct me.
Hang on in there and hopefully we will get u through this.

And Remember To Keep Smiling
Jo :)

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"
You can read my updated blog here:
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2008 :  15:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sam - one of your creditors may make the decision to declare you bankrupt and bring an end to this for you.
It took me three months to get the money together for my court costs. I was in an IVA and stopped paying the payments to get the money together.
In the same way you could continue to pay your household bills (this saves hassle after BR if you keep electric, rates, water people etc happy) then could you get enough money together over the next few months for court fees?
You need to do what is best for you and your family. Creditors can hassle you til they are blue in the face but they can't have what you haven't got. Once BR all that stops and you can start to plan a debt free future for you and your family.
Hope this helps a little
Take care

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page