Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Sorry - some more BR Questions...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazed and confused

United Kingdom
475 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2008 :  14:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dear Forum / Experts

I am currently just entering into a DMP but am now thinking that I might be better to just go BR straight away. I have a few questions I was hoping someone may be able to answer please:

1. I currently have a second job but the hours are seasonal and irregular. I have not declared this in my DMP as it is not a 'regular income' - would I get into trouble for not declaring it in my DMP if I were to go BR? If I was to go BR would I need to put it down as an Income towards a possible IPA / IPO?

2. Should the BR forms be filled in based on your current situation or based on the situation you will be in when you go to Court i.e. on that exact day. The reason I am asking is that although when I fill the forms in I will be in employment, but on the day I go to Court there is a chance that I may not be.

3. Would the OR look back through my original I & E's from my DMP to double check that they all correspond? The reason I am asking is that in my DMP all my I & E's are not fully correct - my DMP provider was very generous with certain allowances e.g. food / fuel etc.

Sorry for the long message! I hope someone may be able to help?!

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2008 :  19:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi dazed and confused,

As you know I'm no expert, but I didn't want to read and run. I can't answer all of your questions but I'll have a go at answering what I can for you. :-)

1. Not sure about the DMP part, but you would definitely need to declare this income if you went BR. You could explain it's only seasonal and the OR should work out some kind of average over the year. You will be given a chance to explain all about this during your interview and discuss it then.

2. The forms should represent your situation on the day you go to court.

3. I'm not sure if they'd look at your DMP I&E but would imagine they might. If things have changed though, then I expect you could put different figures in, as long as you can explain/evidence the changes if you are asked to.

As I say I'm no expert and one will come along and put me right if I'm wrong, but I hope I've helped a bit.

Keep asking the questions!! :-)

Take care,

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

dazed and confused

United Kingdom
475 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2008 :  19:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bankruptc!

Thanks for your reply. Yes my main concern is that I am going to get into trouble with the OR for my past behaviour and the way my debt has accumulated - using cards to pay off cards etc. It's all quite messy.

I am also really worried that the OR will look very disapprovingly upon my intended trip to Canada in January 2009 to be with my partner out there and hopefully get work, and possibly move out there permanently if things go well.

I have so many fears and so many worries and possible scenario's running through my mind - it's driving me mad!!! I just want to know what's going to happen. This whole situation is so unsettling.
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2008 :  20:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Dazedand confused!

I know just how you feel, as do so many of us on here. It feels awful to be out of control of your finances and facing up to the problem is really hard. But once you're there and you've made your decisions you really will feel better.
Regarding the 'messy' debt situation, ours wasn't pretty either! We too used cards to pay cards, and I know many more on here have done the same-it's a very common pattern in BR that people do this, anything they can to get by until they finally realise it can't go on forever.

With regards to your trip to Canada, again, lots of people seem to leave the country soon after BR and as long as the OR knows where to reach you, it's not a problem.

I know just what you mean about all the worries and all the scenarios as I was JUST the same-you think back and then it's kind of, 'OMG and I took THAT loan out!' or 'Goodness, I used that card for THAT'! but like you said if you go on like that you will drive yourself mad. I am not normally the kind of person who can put worries to the back of my mind, but in this situation I've managed to just focus on getting through the process. I put my mind to the practicalitlies-getting somewhere to live, collecting the info (statements etc), filling in the forms...doing everything one step at a time. And now I actually feel quite ok. What we've done is done. As long as we've not done anything criminal or fraudulent we've not really got anything to worry about. I tell myself that even if I get a BRU it can't be worse than how things were before.

Keep your chin up hon and keep posting. We've all been where you are now and we're all getting through it.

Take care. We're here for you.

C. x
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2008 :  05:01:28  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi D&C,

I wouldn't be too concerned. Most people borrow from Peter to pay Paul before they go BR, and you won't have done anything the OR hasn't seen many times before.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

dazed and confused

United Kingdom
475 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2008 :  11:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julian

Thanks again for your reply! You have been very busy this morning!

If I am to go BR now, should I tell the OR of my intended trip to Canada in January 2009?
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2008 :  12:25:28  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi D&C,

As I've said before, you have to inform the OR of any change in your personal circumstances, including your address.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page