Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Officially BR as of 11.15am Today ! OMG!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

digman

United Kingdom
319 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  15:36:35  Show Profile  Click to see digman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all ,

Just thought would post to relay our experience of today .

Appt was for 10.15 with the court clerk and eventually saw her at 10.25 ish i would say . She checked all the paperwork for us and helped to fill in the legal bits we didnt fully understand on the petition . All straightforward enough and exactly as expected due to advice of this forum ..
... Then the bombshell .... YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE PROSECUTED FOR THE DEBTS BEING INCURRED THRU GAMBLING ! . After picking my bottom jaw of the floor i began to question this as i was under the impression , frim all the advice i had received , that it was not a criminal matter not to be able to pay your debts , it was a civil matter and as far as i knew it was not illegal these days to gamble ! . Well she was adamant she was right and also said YOU WILL NEVER BE DISCHARGED and the OR CAN KEEP AN INTEREST IN YOUR HOUSE AND FORCE A SALE UPTO 20 YEARS AFTER BANKRUPTCY . Flipping heck ( or words to that effect !! lol ) came to mind and my wife said at that point she could virtually see the cogs going round in my head as to a way to avoid BR and do a runner there and then !!! ...

Anyway she went away to check with the OR office and after 10 mins came back and apologised , she had got it wrong . They no longer prosecute and i would not be prosecuted for having debts caused by gambling . I didnt even bother to question her on the other facts she had come out with as i realised she probably didnt know what the hell she was on about !! Perhaps an expert could step in here please ??

After that little hiccup she counted the money for the fee , went of to see the judge , came back , told us the judge had rubber stamped the BR and she was off to ring the OR office for us and to pick up the phone when it rang .

10 mins later the phone rang , OR office spoke to my wife first , just to confirm name address phone and ask about bank accounts then told her to expect certain forms in the post , The phone was then passed to me and i had pretty much the same conversation . And that was that !! We were told the interview would be within the next 2 to 3 weeks , my wife opted for a telephone interview while i opted for a face to face as i thought i could explain certain things better that way .

And that was really that ..... as of 11.15 myself and my wife are BANKRUPT !!!! the start of our new debt free life !!!!

Andy & Hayley

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  15:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blimey!!!! It does annoy me when people tell you these things when they haven't even got their facts straight!

I had wrong information given to me when I went to court... nothing to do with gambling but another matter which resulted in me having to take another day off work and go to court again three days later!

Glad it all went OK.. other than that!

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  15:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ya have left you another message and sent an email.

Well done mate. :-)

TTFN

Mother Hen :-)

Jo x

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Needafriend's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  15:43:27  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy & Hayley,

firstly, congratrulations on the start of your new life without debt.

Secondly, don't worry about what the clerk told you ...they are clearly talking out of the top of their head! The worst you'll get is a BRU/BRO which would hold you under the restrictions of BR for a maximum of 15 years, but won't stop your automatic discharge from BR after 12 months.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  15:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yey! That's fab, Andy!

Glad you seem to be feeling upbeat and buoyant about it all-it's a great feeling really, isn't it?

I can't believe how many of us are being given wrong information-how can these people get away with telling you you'd be prosecuted and never discharged?? Grrrr it makes me mad!

Anyway, put that to the back of your mind, relax tonight and enjoy your first evening being debt free!

C. x
Go to Top of Page

tracy_b

United Kingdom
457 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  16:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,
Well done to you and your wife today. I think i would have run out screaming if the clerk had said that to me! At least its now over and done with.
take care and enjoy being DEBT FREE.

Tracy
9th Oct and counting
Go to Top of Page

movin on
Average Member

United Kingdom
946 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  16:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andey and Hayley

Well done and congratulations to you both...

So how does it feel ? sooooo much better i would imagine.

I know there is more to come, but for now take some time for each other.

Jenny

xx

The weights are coming off my shoulders very slowly, but making such a big diference !!
Go to Top of Page

digman

United Kingdom
319 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  17:21:34  Show Profile  Click to see digman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all ,

Thanks to everyone for their kind messages of support , it means so much to myself and Hayley . Although i have never spoken with any of you in person with the exception of 'the absolutely wonderfully , brilliant , friendly , one of the nicest people i have ever encountered , Mother Hen type figure' Jo ( Needafriend ) , i feel an affinity with you all , with everyone working thru different problems but ultimately aiming for the same result - a debt free and happy life !!

Quite simply - THANKS - !!

Edited by - digman on 03 October 2008 17:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  17:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Digman

It was my pleasure to be there for you. I am thinking about the name change, what do you reckon.

Good luck with it all.

Jo x

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Mother Hen's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

digman

United Kingdom
319 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  17:33:58  Show Profile  Click to see digman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi ,

You go for it Jo - the name sums you up to a tee !!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

huntersrishon

189 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  18:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Digman

Good luck

Dee
Go to Top of Page

digman

United Kingdom
319 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  18:18:21  Show Profile  Click to see digman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee ,

Thanks , and the same to you .

Andy
Go to Top of Page

eamonn

320 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  18:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi digman
best of luck for the debt free futre
Go to Top of Page

digman

United Kingdom
319 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  18:23:02  Show Profile  Click to see digman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Eamonn ,

Thanks , and the best of luck to you as well ,

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Nat

367 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  19:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy and Hayley
Glad it's over for you and those bombshells were cleared up for you!!
Hope you have a good evening and can chill out a bit now.
Nat
x
Go to Top of Page

digman

United Kingdom
319 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  20:13:48  Show Profile  Click to see digman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Nat ,

Thanks for that , and thanks for your reply re your take on my sect 7 SoA post . Appreciated .

Time for a cold beer now -

Cheers ,

Andy & Hayley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page