Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 Still getting hassled
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  15:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

I am in the process of going bankrupt. I have written to all my creditors and advised them of this. However I am still receiving phone calls and letters from some of them.

My question is: Should I ignore them or contact them again?

Many thanks,

Amanda

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  15:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately you will continue to be contacted by creditors until you have actually been made BR. Once you are BR the OR will inform your creditors and once the news filters through the calls will stop.

When are you going BR?

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  16:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cakietin

I agree with skippy you wont stop the hassle till you finally have been made BR.

As skippy says when is your date, is it soon.

As soon as you are BR then although you may still get letters and phone calls the OR will then deal with these for you.

Good luck

Jo x
Your Mother Hen :-)

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Mother Hen's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

tracy_b

United Kingdom
457 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  16:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Amanda,

We are going BR this week 9th Oct. I wrote to all our creditors offering pro-rata payments only got 5 replies none of whom accepted. i get around 5 or 6 calls a day but i dont answer them. I dont like confrontation although i had kind of made up my mind to answer from last Friday but got the jitters again. i dont want to jinx the BR on thursday by telling the creditors.
However saying all that from what i understand once your BR the OR takes over everything although a few may slip through the net but you just give them your BR number.

Good Luck
Tracy X
9th Oct and counting
Go to Top of Page

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  17:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who replied.

We don't have a date yet as we applied for the fees to be paid by British Gas or Severn Trent Water and are still waiting to hear from them. I don't usually answer the phone and none of them leave messages for us. I do receive letters though and these are what worries me as they are so serious and scary. I just want it over with now!

Regards,

Amanda
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  18:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cakietin,

Is it your creditors making you bankrupt then and not you by choice.

Jo x

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Mother Hen's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

Go to Top of Page

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  18:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are making ourselves bankrupt. We went to the Citizens Advice Bureau and was told that it was our best option as we have no assets and receive benefits. We were then told about the British Gas and Severn Trent Water trust funds which could help pay the costs. So now we are waiting to see if we have been sucessful with that. It can take up to 6 weeks to hear....it's a long wait when you have creditors hassling you!

Take care,

Amanda
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  19:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah i see Cakietin,

Let us know how that all goes and if it all goes through how you went about it.

Take care

Jo x

Go to Top of Page

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2008 :  19:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo

Yes I will...it will be a relief. Even just deciding to go ahead with bankruptcy has helped me sleep at night!

Take care,

Amanda x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2008 :  07:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cakietin

When ever you need us we will be there to help and guide you through this difficult time in your life.

No one said it would be easy but with us around we will help where we can. When you feel low shout at us when your happy share it with us, we are your new virtual family and you will have so many friends on here and also bare in mind we have all done or are going through the same as you.

LOL to you and best wishes

Jo x

Go to Top of Page

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2008 :  12:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo

Thanks so much for the support...it means a lot.

Amanda x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2008 :  18:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Cakietin

Its my pleasure as always to be there and help out where i can.

I may not have an awful lot of the legal knowledge yet but i am there for support and to be your friend when you need one. :-)

Jo x

Go to Top of Page

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  10:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again.

Just received a letter from the Bank about our personal loan. It is a Notice of Default. I have also received a letter from a debt collectors for my catalogue account. These are all dated recently. I sent all of my letters advising them of Bankruptcy on the 21st of September. Should I get in touch with them to tell them AGAIN about the bankruptcy or ignore these letters? It is worrying me.

Thanks,

Amanda
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  10:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cakietin

When is it your going BR.

If its soon i would just file it with the rest to send to the OR after you have gone BR.

I had the same for a few months from both banks and catalogues but i just sent them to the OR and we had about 8 or 10 weeks from deciding we were going BR to the actual date.

I would just file it, but other may have a different view. I doubt they will do anything, they have to issue these by law.

LOL

Jo x

Go to Top of Page

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  10:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo

Still don't know when as we are waiting to find out if British Gas will pay our fees. Unfortunately we found out yesterday that Severn Trent Water won't pay them, so now all of our hopes rest with British Gas. The woman at CAB who has been helping us has told us it could be early Nov before we hear. So on top of being worried about these letters I am now worried about how we are going to pay our fees if British Gas don't! We are on benefits and don't have any savings. Since we stopped paying our creditors we are definately better off but it would still be a struggle to save the money.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  10:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Amanda

I do hope that you get some good news with regards to getting the BR fees sorted.

I know how worrying it can all be, been there done that, but you have to be strong, dont let them scare you, dont let them bully you, stand your ground.

They try allsorts to get there money and there best ones are mentioning about your credit file or sending you to court, they dont want to take you to court as it will cost them initially so you have some time.

If they have a home number or a mobile number change them, we did, soon it will be just post that comes in, open them, file them ready and try not to be scared, they are not worth it, life is way too short to be bullied by these people. They dont like being told we cant pay so they try all sorts to get it.
My catalogues Next was the worst, they started writing in May threatening DCA then about 3 months later it went to a DCA, who then just kept writing saying we have added this, please pay or ........

Get the picture.

You should get help with the fees if your on benefits, call your local court and ask.

Best of luck.

LOL

Jo x

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page