Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Making provisions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr.E.Guest

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2008 :  15:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

We have looked at our situation closely and BR appears to be the only option for us - £3500 going out each month and only £2000 coming in - please don't think we've been living it up - we have just poured money into a business that hasn't worked and accrued debt that is now out of control which in the current retail environment shows no sign of improvement.

To make things worse our mortgage is now going up by 35% and despite trying to negotiate a deal the provider rather make us a repossession case - so we will do a volantary hand over(only 3K equity left anyhow)

If we file for BR in November we have from now until then to find a rental house (so we can avoid bad credit references for the landlord)- also we can set our utilities up etc such as internet / phone so I can continue to run our business ( no longer limited but sole trader).

Anyhow - to my question - if in the meantime we make provisions for the things we have been holding off on such as new tyres, a replacement exhaust etc for the car and put these on our credit cards will the OR look upon our spending as irresponsible or will it be considered as day to day neccassary expentiture?

Ta

Tim

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2008 :  19:06:14  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,

You'll have to play this one quite carefully as there's no simple yes or no answer, but like a lot of things in BR, a big grey area. In principle, you should be ok depending on what the values are and, of course, whether you're likely to keep the car in the first place.

The bottom line is that you'll need to provide the OR with a very good explanation for this.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

Mr.E.Guest

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2008 :  10:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julian,

Thanks for the info - looked on Parkers and the car is valued at around £3000 - its essential for work so I hope the OR would look favourably on this.

As for the essentials such as tyres and exhaust again the car is aessential for work and bald tyres = points / fines as does a noisy exhaust so I would argue present these as neccesaties???

As a separate note I got a call from EJ&S and should have a meeting set for early November where I guess we can dig down deeper on subjects such as the above.

Cheers

Tim
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2008 :  12:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
as Julian has said be careful as to what you use the credit card for.
The car maybe essential, I doubt that would be argued by the OR. So if you had a capital sum which you used immediately prior to bankruptcy to repair the essential vehicle, no problem.
However, you are contemplating using further credit for the same purpose immediately prior to bankruptcy which is not a good idea.
If the only way out of a catch 22 is to do so I would seriously consider delaying bankruptcy for a while.

I note you are now in contact with EJ&S.
I'm confident they will guide you well, just a pity you cannot meet up with them sooner to set your mind at ease and establish your true position and the best way forward.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2008 :  13:24:13  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,

EJ & S do excellent work in this area. You're in safe hands!

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

Mr.E.Guest

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2008 :  13:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Thanks for this - I'm not planning on going BR until Dec or ideally Jan - so as far as spending its business as usual - creditors are still being paid we are 100% up to date on cards, mortgage.

As Julian said previously we are in a good position to take our time and plan carefully our BR - this is why I'm trying to get the expensive essentials out of the way now rather than later.

IYO is it better then to use cash than credit - even if this cash is from our already stretched overdraft?

Cheers

Tim
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2008 :  13:43:44  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,

You have to be very careful how you play things from here on as the OR will examine your conduct prior to (and during) your BR. EJ&S should steer you correctly on that one.

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page