Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 mortgage payments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jane.m

230 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  09:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI

when the or is looking at the mortgage payments do they work on the same principal as an iva that it can be no more than 40% or do they allow more when it is negative equity. If the or feels that the mortgage payment is too high yet you can afford it. Can he try and force the sale of the house so he can get an ipo or is this very difficult to do as if they did force the sale they would be further adding to your debt.

Thanks

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  11:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jane

Not that i am aware of do the OR work along the same lines as an IVA with regards to mortgage payments. If you can afford to pay it then i think the OR will have no interest, they cant make you leave but if the payments are exceptionally high they might query it.

They wont make you sell to free up money as like you have said that will make your debt higher and that is not want they want to do.

Hope that helps

Jo
x

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Go to Top of Page

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  14:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you are still paying the mortgage in bankruptcy yu must do everything you can to keep the place for quite some time into the future, maybe years, for the values to increase so that you have positive equity. Otherwise you might as well have given up the place and not paid the mortgage as of the date of the bankruptcy order. The mortgage company would be likely to pursue you for any mortgage shortfall from a future sale as you will likely still be liable. The OR will retain an interest for three years from the bankruptcy order date. I don't know if you have arrears which are causing the payment to be higher than usual. It should be the case that the OR will allow a repayment of capital and interest of a reasonable proportion of your income. Please se the Insolvency Service website Household Expenditure Spreadsheet
http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Policy/Excel/Household%20Expenditur.xls

It says under mortgages that they are 'variable'.

Depending on the circumstances you might need someone to buy out your beneficial interest in the property, though i think this would only be necessary if you ended up - within three years - with plenty of positive equity. In today's house prices climate that is unlikely.

As long as you are in it for the long haul and do not default on the mortgage in the future you should be alright with a similar figure to IVA's.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page