Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Had OR Interview - Was Awlful
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Help007

91 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2008 :  16:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my OR interview today it was the worst thing ever, my year has been so bad now just got worse.

He was horrid kept looking at me digusted, tutted kept shaking his head and said I had to have another interview with a senior examiner - what more can I tell them? I am defiantely getting a BRO and the bit thats haunts is " I am so so so so so so sorry but it really does not look good for you at all" What does he mean by this?

I am petrified now. Why have I got to have another interview? I dont know what else I can tell them, I got large amounts of credit to pay the loan repayments, credit card bills each month and kept doing this thinking I would be able to repay it somehow that something would change.

I am convinced the way he was talking I am going to end up in prison.

Help007

91 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2008 :  16:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also he said he is sending my file for further investgations - what does this mean?
Go to Top of Page

Tikka

210 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2008 :  17:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh bless you, sorry you havent had a nice experience...

I do think that was a bit unprofessional of him to say what he did..

My case is similar starting of with credit cards, then got loans to consilidate, all the time thinking it would be somehow ok but it wasnt.. My interview wasnt to great but am 6 months into it & i havent heard anything for a while, so it does get better, promise..
Go to Top of Page

Help007

91 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2008 :  17:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you but right now it is a nightmare.

He said to me I know I am coming down hard but you have borrowed so much and it does not look good for you at all.

Why if they have concluded I am to blame and will get a bro for borrowing without the intention of paying it - which although I never did this can fully understand it looks that way and said this yet I still have to have another interview and further investgation.
Go to Top of Page

Tikka

210 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2008 :  21:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it is a nightmare I do understand. You have found a really good forum here full of people that do know & understand what you are going through, so there is plenty of support, help & advise.

I dont know why your OR seems to be giving you such a hard time when it seems you have done no more than anyone else..

How much do you owe & over what period?

I owed £60k over approx 3yrs of spending.
Go to Top of Page

Trolly-Dolly
Average Member

591 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2008 :  23:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no consistency with BR and ORs. I accrued my debt (£12k over approx 18mths - but it doesnt really matter as we are all different), and have been left alone. Why you are being persecuted is beyond me? Dont they reslise that BR is a big enough step on its own? I'm so sorry that you have been through this. You wont go to prison and very soon, this will all be over!

You can read my blog here;

http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

zamfir

303 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  01:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help007, I'm so sorry to hear about your dreadful experience. Like lots of professions where the vulnerable feel compelled to keep quiet when spoken to, the position is abused. Take police officers for instance, I've lost count how many times they've treated me like something they've stepped in, even when I'm in the right.

You've gone through the toughest part of your financial problem, keep your head held high and should the worst (BRU/O) happen, take comfort in the fact that it really won't have that much of an effect on your life.

You're in the right place here, nobody is judged and we all stick together. My debt amounted to 6x my full-time annual salary, so you're most definately not the only person to have been caught up in the web. Trust me, it DOES get better.

Take care, and please please try not to panic - Santa is coming!

T.

Edited by - zamfir on 19 December 2008 01:07:38
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  07:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I agree with everyone on here. We dont judge and we all stick together. You must have had a newbie who does everything by the book as they have juist finished training.

Dont let that one person knock you down, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and basically in your head tell them to **** off.

Now that you have done that, it will get better, i promise too.

Dont panic and try not to worry, life is way too short for that.

Take care

Jo
x

19 Weeks down

33 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Go to Top of Page

Almost there

United Kingdom
288 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  08:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I reckon your examiner must have got out of the wrong side of the bed that day. They and anyone else does not have a right to judge you. I plan on going BR in late Jan/Feb, I have run up a considerable amount of debt during the last 12 months for all sorts of reasons, so I wonder what they will do with me but I always say, I have my family and my health and they are the most important and precious things in my life.
Try not to worry, he may be new to the job and enjoying the power, don't let it get to you, life is too short for that. There are far more important things in life than some grumpy, power crazy examiner.
Perhaps if you feel like it you may want to tell us more about your situation, no one on this forum will judge you.
Take care
Sandie
Go to Top of Page

Help007

91 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  08:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. Just really got to me he kept saying it really does not look good for you at all.

Will try to sum up as best I can.

In 2003 we brought our first flat and had quite a bit of debt anyway from being young buying things we didn't need etc. A year later we got a secured loan in which we paid off all unsecured debt except one loan as the house improvements cost alot more than expected.
Jan 05 we got a new car - stupid it cost a fortune but we both had good jobs and could afford the payments. I then fell pregnant totally unplanned and this threw everything out. We were ok for a bit but when I went on maternity leave my salary went to SMP and I took a loan to support the months I was off for the shortfall in salary. I had a very traumatic birth after being induced and going through 10 hours of severe pain I was given an emergency c section due to the baby getting stuck, it took them 45 minutes to get him out and I lost over 2 litres of blood, I had all the doctors running to stop try and stop the bleeding. I was then given an emergency transfusion. I felt extremely depressed after this I never told anyone but felt the birth I wanted was taken away. The year after that was a complete blur and I spent stupidly and borrowed yet more money, I felt the car I had was impractical and changed it without thinking losing over £10k on it and buying a much more expensive car.
Dec 06 my husbands well paid self employed contract came to an end and he got an employed job bringing home half his salary and from here on I thought I need to keep us going and got more loans to cover the shortfall each month, I got new loans every 3-6 months for a year just purely using the money to cover the outgoings of the debt, then I used the credit cards to supplment income. I then fell pregnant again last October unexpected and we decided to sell our flat as we had £40k equity to try and pay some debt off and got a house in a completely new area which was horrid but the mortgage stayed the same. Then two weeks after moving my older son when I was 6 months pregnant was taken into hospital and diagnosed with a serious Kidney disease and I can only describe from then on being the worst time ever. When he was finally better and allowed home we still had 6 months of medication to keep the disease under control and he will never be free of it now. I then had pre eclampsia and was admitted to hospital and had the baby, although a quick delivery naturally was still traumatic as the baby was in distress and was taken by paeds when born. All fine. It then all came to a head and when I got my first months SMP I realised we had no money to cover anything and then begun to get advise about an IVA - not viable so I decided on bankruptcy and went from there. It was not until then I put everything down and realised how much I had accumlated, I hid away and pretended it wasn't there but it was and I had to now face it and deal with it.

This is what I told the examiner and he could not understand I borrowed each time to keep paying my outgoings.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  08:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Help

You have had a bad run of it :-(

I know where some of your problems have stemmed from mine were v similar.

Dont be scared by them, they have to show they are tough and make sure that you DONT do it again and learn a very valuable lesson, so make an example out of you.

Not all examiners are like that but some are, try not to worry you look after your family they are the most important things, sod the rest, what is done is done.

Take care

Jo
x

19 Weeks down

33 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Go to Top of Page

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  09:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help007,

I am sorry to hear of your experiences.

You should know that if you have not told the examiner this story it is perfectly alright to send a letter addressed to the case officer at the Official Receiver's office delaing with your bankruptcy. I strongly reccommend writing a letter including all that you have said in this thread pertaining to how you got into a debt situation. Keep it accurate and checkable. There are reasons why people go bankrupt and from the sound of it I do not feel you have been as irresponsible as some. Put in your letter words to the effect that bankruptcy was the responsible course of action in your situation.

N.B. I hope you did not talk about bankruptcy restrictions orders with the examiner at the interview? If you did, please don't mention it directly anymore. They may not be thinking of giving you one but if you talk about it they might get ideas. It sounds like you were unlucky to get a face to face interview. Mine was over the telephone, as were many other people's on this forum.
Once you have written to the OR simply wait. Cooperate fully and learn from the experience.

By the way, bankruptcy is your civil right. Also, looking at it from the angle of the examiner, perhaps he/she was on edge a bit due to dealing with an increased workload and took it out on you a bit. When things cool off it may be they go easier on you out of embarrassment at laying in to you.

This may look a lot better in time. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Almost there

United Kingdom
288 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  10:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have had a really bad time, and I feel for you, but your situation is very similar to many others. I can completely understand that you borrowed and spent more than you could afford when you were at a low ebb. I did a very similar thing when my partner died, it would give me comfort and a buzz, allbeit only a temporary one. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are not alone and this site has been a godsend to me as I am sure it will be for you. Good luck
Sandie
Go to Top of Page

Help007

91 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  10:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone you have all been wonderful.

I have written a letter stating the above but gone into a little more detail. I don't think it will change anything but I am hoping that it will explain things to them as the examiner did not fully understand and maybe I won't need that second interview.

It was the Examiner that said I would get a BRO not me I just said it was understandable.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  10:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Help

You can all but try.

Best of luck and most of all

"Keep smiling"

LOL

Jo
x

19 Weeks down

33 to go

Go to Top of Page

johns_in_debt
Starting Member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2008 :  11:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity - which county court are you dealing with?

Good luck, I'm sure it will all be fine
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page