Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Starting bankruptcy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  11:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. I've phoned my local court and asked for the bankruptcy forms to been sent. I understand that as from now im no longer required to pay my debts. Do i need to let each company know im going bankrupt, or do i just cancel the payments? Also, will my mobile phone account be cancelled? (contract). Any help will be very much appreciated.

Steven

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  11:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven and welcome

You can fill in the forms online, this can be done at:

https://www.insolvencydirect.gov.uk/isolv

Also i would stop paying your creditors now and make sure you continue with gas, electric etc these are essentials.

You dont need to contact them, just cancel all dd's to them and leave it. Save the extra money for fees.

Do you have any assets like a car or home?

When are you going to go bankrupt?

The mobile contract would be down to the company themselves, my one as soon as they knew i had gone BR cancelled my phone but you would have to ask them what would happen, my one was o2.

Have you taken any advice re your debts? Its a big step to take and you need to be well armed.

Best of luck

Jo
x

22 Weeks down

30 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Go to Top of Page

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  12:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo, I've spoken to a lady about the possible iva route, but as I have no assets she said bankruptcy was the best option. I have not got a court date yet, waiting for the forms to arrive. The phone is with orange, it was started in december, I also recieved a Xbox 360 with this contract. Will i need to send that back?

Steveb
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  12:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve

I doubt very much that they would want the X Box back as its value now would be minimal.

Did you start a new contract with orange or was it an upgrade?

Have you made any payments to the contract and how long was it for?

Thanks

Jo
x

22 Weeks down

30 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!

Edited by - Needafriend on 06 January 2009 12:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  13:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo

New contract started on 4th Dec, 1st payment due next week £51. Contract is for 18 months.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  13:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo,

I've just downloaded the bankruptcy forms, it looks a bit daunting. Is there any website that can help you through the process of filling this out? I really dont want to make a mistake.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

marcjx
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  14:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys

I'm just at the stage of going bankrput, I've been paying into a DMP for the past few months and I still owe more than I did when I started as intrest hasn't been frozen. Just got a couple of questions which Jo may know the answer to?
1. After going bankrupt will I have to pay the OR a set amount from my regular wage? How long for?
2. I'm getting married next year and my future wife will be buying a house, I will not be on the Mortgage, but will be paying towards it, does the OR have the power to sell the house as she will be my wife? and I will have a common interest in the house?
Hope you can help

Thanks
Marc
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  14:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marc

Firstly the payment to the OR will only become apparant if you have any disposable income now in which the OR can ask that you make a payment via an IPA to them each month for a max 3 years.

If your OH buys a house from next year then no the OR should not have an interest in it as that will be after you have declared bankruptcy and so will not be included as you dont own a house now.

If you contribute to the household bills then you would have to declare this. I take it you do now.

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve:

When looking at the form, ans it section by section, do the easy bits first then ask on here and we can help go through the bits your not sure off.

Jo
x

22 Weeks down

30 to go

Go to Top of Page

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2009 :  18:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo,
One of my debts is with a company using the buy now pay later option. On the bankruptcy form do I put down the total cost, including interest, or just the product cost? I have not yet made any payments. 1st one due Oct.
Also will this be deemed as fraudulent, as it was taken out so close to me going bankrupt?

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2009 :  10:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven

I have answered part of this in your other post but the OR may not be happy about it but then again it was buy now pay later and i dare say you did not take it thinking that you were going to go bankrupt.

The worst they can do is slap a BRU on you like a naughty boys slapped wrist and tell you that for x amount of years you are not allowed to get credit over £500.

I would not worry to much about it, be honest with them, in that at the time the thought never crossed your mind and that your sorry that it worked out that way.

Jo
x

22 Weeks down

30 to go

Go to Top of Page

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2009 :  20:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have my court date set for this monady at 9am, and was wondering how long the whole process takes? Will I be made bankrupt that day, or will I need to return at a later date? If so do I need to start paying my debts again? I'm getting a little worried things are going to go wrong.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2009 :  20:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven

The whole court process takes about 2 hours maybe more maybe less depending on how busy they are.

They will make you bankrupt that day providing you have filled the forms in correctly and have the fee.

No you dont need to start paying any of the debts again only your essentials at home.

Good luck for Monday

Jo
x

Needafriend says:

Just always remember one thing, Your not alone, your not the first and you wont be the last.

22 Weeks down

30 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:~ Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)

Go to Top of Page

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2009 :  20:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jo, you are a star.

Steven
x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2009 :  22:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awh Steven

Dont you will make me blush

Its been my pleasure to help you

Jo
x

Needafriend says:

Just always remember one thing, Your not alone, your not the first and you wont be the last.

22 Weeks down

30 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:~ Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)

Go to Top of Page

Steven3473
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2009 :  13:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's done. Arrived at court for my 9.00am apointment, and was adjudged bankrupt at 9.27. All went smoothly and no where near as scary as I thought it would be. Then went on to speak to my OR, meeting lasted about 1 hour, went through all my forms had didnt make me feel guilty in any way. I'm so clad I did this, thank you to every one for there help, and especialy to you Jo for helping out you are a princess..xx.

Steven

My life starts now.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2009 :  13:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steven

That is great news, well done you, now you can live again.

Thank you for your kind words they have brought a tear to my eye, you know that i will always be here for you.

Take care and enjoy the start of your new debtfree life.

Now go and enjoy the freedom.

LOL

Jo
x

Needafriend says:

23 Weeks down

29 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help with filling out the forms, I&E, Car Valuations, etc, etc, you can read my blog here called:~ Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page