Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi, Currently i have over £20,000 worth of Debt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy5535
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2009 :  17:48:54  Show Profile  Visit andy5535's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Currently i have over £20,000 worth of Debt which is owed on Credit Cards, Loans and Catalogues and there is about 15 Creditors in total. I am a single parent living in Council Accomodation and trying to live off my Job Seekers Allowance, Tax Credits i get for my son who is at college now and 16 and also the Child Benefit. Currently i am with Citizens Advice and are paying most people £1 a month but i'm constantly receiving letters from some who won't accept it and are threatening Warrant of Control to remove goods in my home etc. It's got to the stage i can't take much more and i'm trying to raise the money to go Bankrupt and get this weight off my shoulders. There is a cople of things i'd like to ask if possible from someone who's been through it as i seem to get confusing answers.
Q1,I have an 8yo car that has over a 100,000 miles on the clock which i need obviously for food shopping, emergencies and for when i eventually get a job as i may have to look further afield now and public transport is not much use here so basically will my car be taken from me and sold?

Q2, What am i going to do about my Bank Account as i believe you have to stop using it but i need it for my Direct Debits etc and utility bills as well as my Benefits to be paid into, how would i be able to get round this if i can't use it?

Q3, Will goods like tv, video, computer etc be taken and sold also as i am postal signing with the job centre and i really need my computer for job searches etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated as i'm at my wits end, it's all such a mess.

Thank you

Andy

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2009 :  18:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. I will try and answer your questions in order:

1. Your car should be fine as you need it to search for work as you don't have access to public transport.

2. Is your bank one of your creditors? If not, and depending on who it's with you may be able to keep it after BR. You can also open a Co-op Cashminder account or a cash card account with Barclays if they are not creditors.

3. No, your household goods won't be taken once you are BR.

Please keep posting, we are hear to help you and we know what you're going through at the moment. Speak to the CAB as well, as they will be able to help you with BR, filling out the forms etc.

Good luck x

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

20 IPA payments made, 16 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page