Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Co op Cashminder Account!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Helen030166

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  14:32:07  Show Profile  Send Helen030166 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

hI ALL, I just want to inform you that when we went BR last year we opened a coop cashminder account, as we were told they will allow you a basic bank account to put your wages in and do SO's and DDs .

However, last week I made a payment using my card and didnt realise a DD was being taken out at the same time, as it was not on my list of dds. That made me £1.50 overdrawn and the Coop have sent me a letter saying they will close the account and stopped all my standing orders and direct debits immediately!

Please can anyone advise me of a decent ban for bankrupts?

Thanks Helen x

Thanks for your Help,Helen x

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  14:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you been overdrawn with them before, because as far as I know they will only close the account if it happens 3 times.

The only other bank that I know will definitely accept undischarged bankrupts is Barclays, although I have heard of Lloyds opening someone an account.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

20 IPA payments made, 16 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

Helen030166

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  15:08:00  Show Profile  Send Helen030166 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yes i admit over the past few months i have been overdrawn 3 times but 2 ofthem were because i had the flu and couldnt get to the bank to put money in time. The coop isnt that good in the fact they dont gie you an up to date account they give you a balance but not a balane taking into account payments due to come out like other banks and it gets very confusing :(

Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  15:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there - I have had clients in a similar situation who have successfully opened an account with Yorkshire Bank and the HSBC basic bank account- The Natwest Step account is again one often selected by clients. Without knowing you creditors it is difficult to offer a full list as you need to open an account with a bank which was not a creditor - Alll banks offer basic accounts, the difference is that some do not offer cashcards etc on their basic accounts.
Hope this has in some small way helped

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
01446 711780
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  16:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that your clients have been able to open a basic account with HSBC Melanie as I know they trawl the insolvency register and close the accounts of people in IVAs!

When I was using the Cashminder account I had a spreadsheet showing everything that was due out of my account in blue, and when it cleared I changed it to black. It meant I could keep an eye on the balance all the time as I knew exactly was was due in or out.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  16:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still do it even though Nationwide show the balance in real time. It's like my safety net!

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  16:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it's more of a computerised comfort blanket! I have it accurate to the last penny, and if something goes wrong I panic until I've found the problem!

Go to Top of Page

hadenuff
Starting Member

43 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  16:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to open a HSBC Basic Account post bankruptcy. They were very helpful and obviously they wasn't one of my creditors. Good little bank account.
Go to Top of Page

hadenuff
Starting Member

43 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  17:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Needafriend

Same here

Great minds and all that.

LOL

Jo x

Sorry, don't understand
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  17:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo was replying to my post about the spreadsheet x

Go to Top of Page

hadenuff
Starting Member

43 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  17:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, I see. Thanks Skippy, thought I had missed something
Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  17:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Skippy, like you i was amazed when a client came through informing me of their ability to open an account with that bank, but this has been confirmed with a couple of clients, so it must be okay, provided you have had no previous debt with them. The important thing is though whatever account is opened it must be operated in credit, otherwise the difficulties facing this clietnt will be faced by anyone going overdrawn no matter how small the amount. It is hard to budget, but try to ignore the final £5 in your account pretend if you can that it is not yours so you always have a small buffer - not easy on a budget, but far better than having your account closed!

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
01446 711780
Go to Top of Page

Helen030166

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  17:49:17  Show Profile  Send Helen030166 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
HSBC is one of or creditors bt ive just found ONE Account onlne and they take on anyone, regardless of status. They apparently wont let you go overdrawn they inform you before hand whats in yor bank and they keep to one side yor money for dds and so' and the rest is like a pay as you go credit card that you can se anywhere, but only while itsin credit!

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  17:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big downside with One Banking (apart from the fee) is you can't have direct debits with this account.

Go to Top of Page

hadenuff
Starting Member

43 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  18:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries needafriend, Skippy explained. I was just a bit confused at the time.x.
Go to Top of Page

sjbyron
Average Member

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2009 :  20:17:52  Show Profile  Send sjbyron an AOL message  Click to see sjbyron's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi

Isnt a visa Electron card decided as an electronic only transaction card, i.e you card use the old swipe systems which take an imprint, and doesnt visa electron, have to be preauthorised prior to a transaction completion,as ifyou had a DDI paid and you used your card, then shouldnt the card of be declined.

I would argue this with Coop either on the point that their systems should of declined the transactions or ask them to keep the account open with a cashcard not electron card for 6 months and review to go back onto an electron card after that.

OneBanking is a good concept however you have to wait til after 10 to have credits paid into your account, you can only transfer £450 a day to your card, you cant do CHAPS, you can only withdraw £250 from cash machines and no DDIs

Thinkbanking allows DDIs and SOIS for Bankrupt people, however if a problem arrises with their systmes or any problem they can take weeks to sort it out, also from my own experience they nwont cancel DDIs or SOIs even when requested and the waiting times on the phones are terrible, they also dont allow you to voice a complaint.

If you are already bankrupt then the rules of offset dont apply for new accounts

Stu J Byron
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page