Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Cars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sparkle83

258 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  00:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hubby and I both going BR.

Hubby's car is '96 rover sterling 827 (no idea on value really, but def less than £800). He works a mixture of shifts including nights, work is a 4 mile round trip, and he lives closest so would be the first person on call if needed (he's a security guard).

Mine is a '84 peugeot 205 (not sure on exact value, but it's in tatty condition and prolly worth less than £400 . we paid £450 for it in march '07 from a garage). The problem is, I'm still learning to drive. I can't afford proper lessons, so often drive my car to do the weekly shopping/chores with hubby to guide me. I'm hoping to pass soon. Currently I walk the 4 mile round trip to work (would have to walk nearly a mile in the wrong direction to get the bus).

I doubt I'll be able to keep mine, but will put it down in I&E anyhow

If it gets taken, can my mum buy it? On the insolvency site, it says that cars so old would often be sold for £10, plus outstanding amount on the road tax (which actually runs out on march 31st, court date booked for march 3rd).

If she buys it, does she then become the registered keeper? would I then have my car allowances taken away from the I&E and have to make IPA payments?

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  07:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

you need to establish a true value for the car to ensure that you do not sell to your Mum undervalue.
Alternatively you could wait for a value to be set by your examiner. It is perfectly ok for Mum to buy the car and it can remain registered in your name if you prefer as the V5 is not proof of ownership.

Whether the examiner will allow running costs for this vehicle as part of your expenditure allowance is a different matter.

It is usually a simpler negotiation with the examiner if you are already using it for work, shopping etc. The fact that you will not be at the time you declare bankruptcy suggests the examiner may claim that it is not required as you manage without at present.

If the removal of these allowances places your DI above £99 this could also be a factor as the examiner will want to apply an IPA if one is plausible.

As is always the case there is no harm in asking.

timendi causa est nescire
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle83

258 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a pain, because often we use my car for shopping etc because its really cheap on fuel. The other factor is that it cant go long distances (which is why we got hubbys car in the first place). My father in law is disabled and has had three heart attacks, and lives in wiltshire, so we often have to up go there at very short notice, at which point we need a reliable long distance car as we wouldnt be able torent out after BR. But using it for every day use costs a fortune... I can't see what I can do about it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page