Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for march
 should i go bankrupt ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

struggling

170 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2007 :  10:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
i hope someone can give me some advise please

currently have depts of £56000 all unsecured in my name between 5 lenders. i take home £2800 a month,my partner earns around £100 per month. my total out goings not including food clothing going out or motoring expences just what i am paying on direct debits is £2715.00
£1006.00 of which is mortgage,£1158.00 on depts £551.00 on utilitys and insurances.

at this time im not in arears with my depts as i am robbing peter to pay paul which is why im in this state and have been for some time, hoping to find a way out! it has taken me a while to relise i cant do this on my own, the stress is unrelenting and near suicidal.i just dont no what to do ?

BankruptcyHelpline

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2007 :  17:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Struggling, bad feelings are not uncommon in your circumstances, you need to get your debt sorted and over with in order that you can begin to see a clearer future, we consider bankruptcy as a new beginning and not an end. Keep posting on here even if it is for a quick pick-you-up pep talk!

Bankruptcy is a viable option for you based on the information provided, your living allowances (food etc) would balance your income/expenditure to zero and any further payments during the period of bankruptcy would be unlikely. you could be discharged within 12 months.

Please post back here and let us all know how it is going.

Remember "The man who never made a mistake never made a thing!"

KEEP US INFORMED !!

Regards

Regards, Dennis,
www.BankruptcyHelpline.Org
Go to Top of Page

Debtdummy

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2007 :  19:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
struggling, feeling of low mood or down is natural when one is under financial duress.Remember, your debts are temporary. Dennis gave sound advise based on your circumstances. Please, remember, if you did commit suicide how would those who love you and care 'go on'?
YOU matter to them. I do know how worthless debt and debt collectors can make you feel at times, but they are trained to drain you out of your last pence even when you are broke.

See your way through this. There is a ray of sunshine amongst the clouds. Doing a bankruptcy is frightening, I know this as I am in the process of doing one myself. The sense of relieve is indescribable when you make that appointment with your local county courthouse to petition for bankruptcy.

Continue to post and tell us how it transpires.

All I have left is my sense of humour.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2007 :  21:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Struggling, that is good advice from DD and Dennis. I can't really add anything to it, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I am most likely going to be going through bankruptcy as well, and one minute I feel relieved that I have made the decision, and the next minute I'm scared. It's natural that your emotions are all over the place, but please don't do anything silly. Keep posting, even if it's only for a chat, to let off steam and to let us know that you are ok.

Good luck x

Where there's life there's hope!
Go to Top of Page

freelili

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2007 :  22:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello Strugling

Just read your post and would like to say, I myself know what it feels like to be desperate, I didnt want to die, but I couldnt afford to live. I have three kids and I wouldnt want to leave them alone and wondering what happened to me because of money? Anyway I was going for an IVA but the debt stress made me unable to work, I was afraid of bankruptcy but I found out a little and then I knew this was the way for me to live again.

Good luck and post to let us know how you are doing, there is life after debt.

lily
Go to Top of Page

skintboy

170 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2007 :  13:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Struggling. I'm glad that I declared myself bankcrupt. I had around £60k debt. Built up slowly at first, then the usual robbing peter to pay paul sent things spiralling rapidly. I can empathise with your situation totally. Both myself and the missus had to do it.
I felt totally intimidated beforehand, but we found the court staff and the judge were "nice" and very matter of fact about the whole thing.
I'm a grown man, but I burst out in tears of relief in the car afterwards. That's the stress going and it has continued to decrease everyday since.
The phone calls,letters , etc. do stop although I found that some creditors had to be told a few times.
It's been around eight months now. I now live in a rented house (which is nicer than the place we were buying), I kept my car (which is a bit of a heap) but it goes, I have a bank account with a DEBIT card, didn't have to tell my employer (although I know some occupations do).
Bankcruptcy helped us out of very black hole. It's not the thing to do if you have lots of stuff and you think that you can keep hold of it. Be realistic! We didn't have anything considered by the OR to be of any value. So all we lost was the debts and the worry.
Hopefully, I will be discharged sometime later this year. We found that bankcruptcy was a new beginning. I don't wake up with that feeling of dread every morning anymore.
Don't do anything daft, there is hope, myself and the governer (wife) are proof of that!
Go to Top of Page

hellybelly

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2007 :  14:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skintboy do you mind me asking which bank account you have that has a debit card, my partner is bankrupt and has a Lloyds account but without a debit card just a cashcard.

And, Struggling, it is a massive relief knowing you've done all you can and struggling every month, to go bankrupt. We had nothing to lose but it was still very very stressful going down the BR road, but such a hugs relief afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

titan

172 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2007 :  07:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am single mother, a working professional in mental health and feel just like you. It's driving me insane!But suicide is forever...this will work out. Take good advice and get it sorted out and begin again. The emotions you feel are common to anyone in this stiuation. While your friends can't share the real worries you have, they will be there for you,,,,you need to talk. I sincerly hope you can get it sorted out quickly and easily and wish you lots of strength and good luck.I have decided to hold off for 6mths and make an agreement with my creditors via my finacial advisor...only putting off the inevitable because I'm so afraid. Take good care.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page