Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Can the OR tell you to move to a cheaper house?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

natasha.e
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2009 :  08:09:44  Show Profile  Visit natasha.e's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can the OR tell you to move to a cheaper house? husband being made bankrupt, House worth 270,000, mortgage 250,000 plus secured loans so hardly no equity, both pay the mortgage. Can they decide our payments are too high even though I pay half?

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2009 :  08:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If both of you were bankrupt and you had a high mortgage cost compared to rentals in your area and say for example you were in a 4 bed detached and just 2 of you, the question may be raised. But if you are not bankrupt the scenario would not arise. You must make sure though that if you were to continue with the house that you can afford the mortgage plus and secured loan payments on it, otherwise it may be a question you should be asking yourselves re affordability.
Hope this helps

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
Go to Top of Page

natasha.e
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2009 :  10:53:21  Show Profile  Visit natasha.e's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only husband making himself bankrupt, he was sole trader well over a year ago, business failed and he went into IVA which also failed as too high payments. He is employed now. I have 3 young children and have office at house, not massive detached house. I am worrying myself sick about losing home. In the process of filling in forms now.

Go to Top of Page

natasha.e
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2009 :  10:56:32  Show Profile  Visit natasha.e's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also we have no mortgage arrears and are getting by, it's just this old debt from old business.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page