Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I am a farther of 2 young children and am currentl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gdlloyd07
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  08:58:06  Show Profile  Visit gdlloyd07's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a farther of 2 young children and am currently unemployed. I am in recipt of job seekers allowance so how much will bankruptcy cost because we are struggaling to live as it is..??? Also what is the first step to take ??as i am not very clued up about such things

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  11:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there and welcome to the forum - You can complkete the forms online or by obtaining the forms from your local County Court . If you apply to your local ****y Court for the forms that you will need to complete for bankruptcy, you will receive an additional document which sets out what are 'qualifying benefits' and the reductions they give you (usually you forgo the court fee of £150 if in receipt of certain benefits)
Whilst on the phone to the Court ask them when their next available appointment is, but don't be too alarmed if you have to wait up to 6 weeks, some courts are that busy!

Also you may wish to make an appointment with your local Citzens Advice Bureau for 2 reasons:
1 if your debts are under £15k you may be better off applying for a Debt Relief Order (same as bankruptcy but costs £90)
2 If your debts are over £15k and you have household utilities in your name you may qualify for a voucher from various utility companies which will fund the bankruptcy cost for low income/unemployed households.

Either way you will need to make an appointment with their Money Advice person, you have nothing to lose!

If you have any particular worries or concerns, please feel free to post away, I along with fellow posters, will be only too happy to help

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
email me at melanienicholas@jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page