Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Has anyone ever questioned OR allowances?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trish37

170 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  20:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had no interview and was given an IPA of £78 but when I got a breakdown of what was allowed by OR they only allowed £82 for Gas and Electric for family of 4. I had asked for £150 and have bills to prove it and when last 6 months are added up both work out to be £178 PM. I have written an Email to OR and have advised them of this and I am willing to produce the bills if needed. If they agree it will mean I have no IPA so I will not sign IPA and send it back until I hear about this. Has anyone had a similar experience and was it allowed after providing proof?

Trish
BR 30/03/2009

sjbyron
Average Member

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  22:46:02  Show Profile  Send sjbyron an AOL message  Click to see sjbyron's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
an IPA is an informal agreement between OR and client, if you disagree you have the right to challenge it, if you provide evidence and the OR still doesnt budge then it goes to a Judge to decide and becomes an IPO which is an income payment order, this cant be challenged as its final.

I would write to the OR provide your income and expenditure and supporting evidence then follow that with a phonecall, if he/she doesnt budge then ask for it to go to the Judge for an IPO.

Best of luck

Stu J Byron
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2009 :  08:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Trish,

If you have the bills to prove that you use an average of £178 gas/electric then this is what you should be allowed.

You have a certain amount of time (either 14 or 21 days, can't remember which) to dispute the IPA so, as Stu says, write back to the OR saying you don't agree with the figures and provide copies of the bills. Send the letter recorded delivery and then follow up with a call once the letter has been received.

It sounds like you were borderline for an IPA as an IPA £78 would mean you would have £156 DI. If the OR allowed you the £150 for gas/electric then you would be under the £99 DI threshold so no IPA. ORs seem to be very strict if the DI is around the £99 threshold.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2009 :  10:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You get 14 days to inform the OR in writing that you don't agree with the IPA figure, and to provide reasons why not. As Gettingoutofdebt says, send a letter and proof of the bills.

An IPA is not an informal agreement, it's a legally binding agreement between the OR and the BR, so don't sign anything yet.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on x

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

23 IPA payments made, 13 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2009 :  11:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, we questioned ours and sent bills and receipts off for pet food, etc and we did not get IPA in the end
Go to Top of Page

bang up

58 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2009 :  13:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in my opinion for my case the o/r just made up the figures as he went along.
Go to Top of Page

ripski

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2009 :  16:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not received a print out or anything in writing to show how they have made their calculations just a letter to sign.

ripski1
Go to Top of Page

trish37

170 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2009 :  17:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you for the advice, I will give her a call in the morning and get copies of my bills in the post to her. I am hoping that she accepts this as I have the proof

Trish
BR 30/03/2009
Go to Top of Page

sjbyron
Average Member

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2009 :  17:44:36  Show Profile  Send sjbyron an AOL message  Click to see sjbyron's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
DO A price comparrison also, and hopefuly if this is higher or the same as yours send a print out of that to her too, then she cant argue that you are paying too much

Stu J Byron
Go to Top of Page

trish37

170 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2009 :  19:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Just to let you know OR came back to me today and allowed £150 for Gas & Electric which results in no IPA
To anyone who does not agree with anything on IPA it is worth sending the evidence if you feel the figures they have allowed are too low....

Trish
BR 30/03/2009
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2009 :  19:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Trish, that's good news. It shows that it is definitely worth querying the OR's allowances if you have the documented proof of the amount that you are paying.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2009 :  19:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news Trish.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

nicky35
Starting Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2009 :  21:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Trish, fantastic news for you, good on ya, i'll keep my eye on that one for ourselves, good luck for the future x
Go to Top of Page

jelojo

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - 18 June 2009 :  08:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you that you should always question the OR if you feel they are wrong.

I got a letter asking me to sign an IPA for £301, however, i had been told no IPA only nil tax code. So i wrote to them saying this and also said my tax is actually only £288.

they wrote back with a new thing to sign saying i would pay £288 of my tax not IPA!
Result!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page