Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hello, hope someone here can help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aero
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2009 :  19:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh lord Debtinfo - we cant even be in the same room as each other. But thanks I hadnt considered that! I better offer him the option I guess. I would be the one paying the mortgage afterwards as I am the one living here. If he in usual ****head fashion decides he would rather be awkward, and go bankrupt himself later on would I be notified so that I/myfamily could buy his beneficial interest?
and sorry - I really really dont understand - if your bankrupt, your debts go... so how come your mortgage stays??? really really dont get it sorry - I'm not thick, just brain dead at the mo lol :)How do we decide who stays in the house? he is such a jerk he would probably argue that he should as he could pay the mortgage if no other debts! Questions questions :)

Bit by bit...
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2009 :  21:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right one bit at a time
The Mortgage question - The Mortgage company as a secured creditor have a specific right over a specific asset (the House). They have a right regardless of the bankruptcy to get their money out of that house, but only up to the value of the property at the time they choose to retrieve their money. Until then they are a contingent liability which means they rely on their horded asset until it is no longer available. They cannot physically make you pay the mortgage but they can exercise their rights over the asset if you dont(sell the house). The other secured loans have the same rights but only after the first mortgage. If the asset is sold by you or them they can only take as much as the asset is worth. After the value of the house is used up, they have used up their security, and any amount left owing falls into the bankruptcy, even if this happens years later.

Who stays in the house - you both have equal rights to buy the equity so have to sort it out between you, (or go to court)

If he went bankrupt later - yes you would be offered the equity, just like he will be offered yours, a letter goes out to both owners in both bankruptcies

hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

Aero
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2009 :  23:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Debtinfo your a star :))) I will probably think of somthing else in the middle of the night but that clears up a lot, thank you :)

Bit by bit...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page