Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 hi. im wanting to declare myself bankrupt.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sweetsii
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2009 :  22:13:56  Show Profile  Visit sweetsii's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi. im wanting to declare myself bankrupt. but im worried about the fact they go through your bank accounts for 2years with a fine tooth comb. do they query monies they see deposited in there and you have to explain? do they then report you to any authorities if they feel there has been undeclared earnings? please i would appreciate your advice. thanks

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2009 :  09:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If there is a large amount deposited then the OR would probably want to know what you did with the money and question why it wasn't used to pay off creditors, etc. Whether they would question where this money came from and report you to HMRC for unpaid income tax or not is questionable.

It is normally for the last 12 months that the OR looks at your accounts however if they find something that doesn't correspond to what you have said during the interview or declared on your forms then they may go back further.
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2009 :  11:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

The OR won't report you to HMRC if they think there are undeclared earnings. You just need to know what happened to the money.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

sweetsii
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  13:20:01  Show Profile  Visit sweetsii's Homepage  Reply with Quote
having second thoughts as been told that as i plan to leave england next summer, i could be refused to be allowed out of england. thats what a helpline told me. becos i would be going out of UK they might not allow me and told i could be arrested and brought back in. it scared me. also been told as a bankrupt i wouldnt be allowed into the US on holiday and some places wouldnt allow you to emigrate to them. im hoping to move to southern ireland next year but told that as i couldnt bge watched there by the OR, i may not be allowed to leave england. is that correct? all this info put the frightners on me and i havent filled in my bankruptcy forms becos of this.

Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  13:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know who told you that but its nonsense, I went abroad whilst bankrupt on holiday

as for being arrested? Bankruptcy is a civil matter not criminal

Edited by - Jane.l on 17 August 2009 13:24:25
Go to Top of Page

Daniel Griffiths

United Kingdom
268 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  14:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet it was a debt help company telling you this rubbish so you will buy one of their products
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  14:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I thought, they probably just want your business
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle83

258 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  15:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'd be better to contact one of the experts here, they'll be able to give you the proper answers to these issues, because it doesnt sound right to me.

Weeks of BR

****5****10****15****20****
(EDREV received and returned at exactly 24 weeks)

25****30****35****40****45****50**
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  15:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is absolutely no problem in leaving the UK when you are declared BR. You will be allowed into the US and any other country you wish to travel to.

The only issue you may have is if you decide to emigrate to another country and apply for citizenship there as they may have rules regarding bankruptcy but this is something you should check and shouldn't be a problem once you are discharged.

As Ireland is in the EU you don't need a visa so there is no problem moving there. If you haven't been discharged from BR you should inform a bank if you opened an Irish bank account but this is just the same as opening an account in the UK.

Don't call this 'Helpline' again as they either don't know what they are talking about or are trying to offer you a 'bankruptcy service' and are only interested in charging you a large amount of money.

Edited by - gettingoutofdebt on 17 August 2009 15:41:03
Go to Top of Page

sweetsii
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  15:09:42  Show Profile  Visit sweetsii's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thank you for all the advice. yes the helpline i rang did try to talk me out of bankruptcy and said they could put all my debts in one payment and their commission was minimum £129 per month!they told me that if i left to ireland or anywhere or even on holiday, my bankruptcy is registered at all airports and ferryports via my passport and id be arrested and also if i leave id be arrested and brought back to england under arrest. it really scared me. they said i had to have permission to go on holiday and have to report when im back etc. all this i couldnt handle. i also went to barclays to open a cash card account and 2 members of staff also told me not to go bankrupt etc etc saying having 15,000debts is nothing and i should face up to it as to be bankrupt would be the worst thing to do and many regret it after its done. both the bank and the debtline frightened me :-(

Go to Top of Page

sweetsii
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  15:18:09  Show Profile  Visit sweetsii's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all i want is to sleep well at nite and look after my kids happily as a single parent and not keep worrying. i just want to stop worrying, make a fresh start and have some peace. my debts are not spending like owing on cards. one big one was when my ex stopped paying thier school fees and i took them out of the school. they are now in state school and doing well. i was taken to court and they even applied for a terms fees where notice wasnt given. total 7,500grand. i have a ccj for that and im still paying that off. then other bits added to that eg gas and electric. a past landlord is chasing me for moving out a house without notice. but the ceiling was falling down! i left out of fear for our safety! but really doesnt matter what its for. everybody has different reasons why they owe money, many quite sad circumstances.
i just dont feel i have the strength to fight this and go to court etc. i just want it to end and i start again and sleep at night. not get scared everytime the post comes.

Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  15:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wish you would name and shame this "helpline" that gave you this terrible and shocking advice, its all untrue

Barclays are talking rubbish too, I have 2 accounts with them, opened on the day of bankruptcy, I just went in the branch, asked to open a Cashcard account (did not tell them I was bankrupt, it is none of their business, and the form never asked me) You just fill a form in and they send it off with ID and you get your account within 2 weeks

How much in total are your debts?
secured and unsecured, do you have a car and are you working? How much do you think you have as a monthly surplus?
Go to Top of Page

sweetsii
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  15:45:12  Show Profile  Visit sweetsii's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have a ccj for £7,500. i moved home a month ago and my last landlord threatens court. but he lockd me out which im told was illegal. i spoke to a solicitor who wants me to take him to court but i just have had enough. he will pass my details to gas and elec which i owe spanning last 2houses. maybe £1,500 to £2,000 i think. plus another £3,500 which hasnt gone to court. i owe my bank £2,000 overdraft money. my storecard is £550. doctor gave me diazepan few times to calm me. yesterday i got more. doctors worried il get addicted. she said yesterday 'il give you more for your crisis to see you through'. im on benefit due to back injury. ok..they could take me to court and give me ccj and get little but mentally, i dont feel im up to the strain. i just want the worry to end. i have a car. worth maybe £1,200 but in its state with no mot and dodgy gasket not sure you'l get £300 for it. hoping to repair it but i need it due to my back and neck injury. a friend asked if they'd take your dog away. that worried me so im not saying i have a dog. she's 4 and has been with me since puppy and im not letting anyone take her. but i wouldnt have thought theyd take pets away. i cant see there is any surplus on my benefit not having a shortfall on my rent to pay.

Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  15:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may qualify for a Debt Relief Order

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/debt/debt_relief_orders.htm#what_is_a_debt_relief_order

have you looked into this? It is like a "mini" bankruptcy
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  15:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't worry about your dog, pets are safe.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  16:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello sweetsii

What your landlord did was a criminal offence! You are entitled to what is known as "quiet enjoyment."

I cannot determine from your posting as to whether you are now in the property or whether you were unlawfully evicted - let us all know.

You have the right to stay in a property that you are renting unless your landlord obtains a possession order. In any ecvent, that court order would be suspended on terms that would enable you to remain in the property until a court bailiff formally evicts you. I have to say all of that can take 4/5 months! I am not advocating that you make no effort to find alternative accommodation if you are in arrears, however, what he has done is a criminal act and he can be fine or even sent to prison.

If you are now homeless, please go along to the local CAB or housing department and explain what has happened to you - it is your RIGHT to remain in the property. The CAB or local council will investigate and if necessary wil prosecute in conjunction with the police.

Please let us know what you current position is and I will try to assist you with advice on postings

Be very strong in all of this - there are people who wil be able to assist you, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page