Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Chat : bankruptcy support and keeping in touch
 br buddies
 Tax Rebate and Official Receiver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geministar2007
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2009 :  19:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok i was advised to come here after posting on the Consumer Forum website.

I went BR in Jan 2009, a short time after this i had a tax rebate for £94, at the time i was out of work and needed this sum to live on, i told the Official Receiver about this and didn't hear anything for awhile. Then after sometime they demanded the rebate back, within 14days via cheque? I was still out of work due to health and couldnt find this sum. Also being bankrupt means i do not have access to a cheque book.

I asked if i could be given longer? and if i could pay a small sum each week? They would not accept a small sum each week, but did give me longer to pay the sum back.

Again i became out of work, relationship broke down and had other more important financial matters.Like paying my rent, being able to eat as well as my on going battle with clinical depression.

Around this time, (May 2009) i had an early discharge letter but they would not grant this unless i paid back the tax rebate, i couldnt!

I have contacted the Plymouth office over and over again, explaining my situation, i am now out of work again. I have asked if i can pay in weely installments and i have now also asked to have the contact name for the head official receiver in order to try and come to an agreement, this again was weeks ago and i have heard nothing.

Does anyone on here know what i should do?
Who i could contact?
I am due for discharge in just under 5 months. What will happen here? I have been told it will cost the OR far more than £94 to apply for a bankruptcy restriction due to my conduct.
However it is not that i am not willing to pay, i just have not had the money!
I have found the OR to be just as bad as some of my creditors. Why they wont accept this payment via installments is beyond me?!

I look forward to hearing from someone as i do not know what to do anymore.

Thank You

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2009 :  20:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason they wont accept installments is that they will want the money returned before the discharge as it is easier to restrict a person who is undischarged
Go to Top of Page

swbankruptcy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2009 :  21:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gemini - you will need to pay the £94 back based on what you have described here.

Personally I would either put £24 aside each month for the next 4 months up until your automatic Discharge date and then turn up at the OR office to pay cash or find a friend or relative who is prepared to send in a cheque for £94 that you can pay them off in instalments.

You can obtain up to £500 credit post BR as long as you inform the creditor (even Family can be a creditor) that you are BR - so borrow from someone with a cheque book and pay them back cash - yes the OR will accept that cheque with a covering letter
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  00:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can actualy obtain up to £500 without telling the creditor you are bankrupt. You only need to tell them if you are obtaining more than £500
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2009 :  10:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
%t isn't a large amount of money to find. If you really can't do as Jane suggests or ask a friend or relative to help you out then how about contacting your union if you are in one to see if they have a benevolent fund that covers this. Or any old bits of gold are making money at the moment. Also, you can earn SOME money & still get all your benefits, even a couple of hours a week would get you this sum before discharge.
Go to Top of Page

geministar2007
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  11:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the advice above

Howver this still doesnt answer the lack of support or communication on their behalf. If they had agreed to installments months ago it would have been paid back by now. I feel like my problems have been ignored!

Where would i be able to obtain credit? I do not want to go to one of those monthly loan schemes with high interest. And what is a union? I am not part of one.

I do not think there is anyone i can ask, i have little family and my mum doesnt have any form of extra cash herself.

Thanks again :-(
Go to Top of Page

geministar2007
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  12:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also if i could come up with the sum, does this still mean the OR will try and make me bankrupt for longer?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

geministar2007
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  12:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and i have no gold to sell, im certainly not selling the item i have from my deceased X partner just to pay to the OR, i would rather be bankrupt for a life time!
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  12:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems as though you have been very harshly treated for such a small amount of money in my opinion, surely you should be able to pay this back in installments?

My hubby was told to pay over his NT tax code money which he did, but then he got a letter saying he still owed some, we offered to pay in installments, (no choice really as we did not have the money) but then once they looked into it, they said it was a mistake and he did not owe anything more

If I were you, I would write the OR a letter explaining what has happened and offer to pay it back in installments, it is all you can do, I would not advise trying to borrow it

Go to Top of Page

geministar2007
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  12:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you Jane. I have explained time and time again and haven't heard anything regarding this matter for over 2 months now.

Obviously i want to pay it, but it's just been one thing after the other in my life this past year or so, which led me to bankruptcy in the first place.

I thought by me asking to speak to the main OR that may prompt them to agree to me paying in installments. This is what i was advised to do by someone else as the person who deals with an individuals OR is the assistant apparently.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page