Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 early discharge / release as trustee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tiredandfedup
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  13:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went bankrupt in Feb this year. The OR that I spoke to then said that my case was very straightfoward (I could hardly call my phone call an interview!) and that he would be looking at early discharge. (No IPA as I am not working.) I was so relieved after all the anxiety!

In June I received a letter saying that they were asking for release as trustee and sending a report to the creditors.

I haven't heard anything since and I wondered what might be happening. Has anybody had any experience of a creditor objecting to someone's early discharge? And if they did, would I have been informed about it?

I know that early discharge is a bonus and not a right, but having had it mentioned it would obviously be good if it could happen.

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  14:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked whether you are still listed on the Insolvency Register (http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/)as BR?

If none of the creditors had objected to your ED then it normally takes about 6-8 weeks. You are supposed to be informed by the OR if you receive ED but a few people on this board have mentioned that they only found out by looking on the Register and didn't receive anything from the OR.
Go to Top of Page

tiredandfedup
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  14:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I have been checking the register but nothing is different from Feb.

As I say, I know I can't expect it and am therefore reluctant to ring and ask the OR's office what's going on!
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  14:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's nothing wrong with checking with the OR on the progress. If you haven't heard anything since June then it's not as if you are calling up each week and annoying the OR. I know they are very busy so it may just be that they are a bit behind with things at the mo.
Go to Top of Page

tiredandfedup
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  15:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - I think I will contact them. My anxiety about what might be going on is overcoming my instinct to leave well enough alone!

(It would still be interesting to hear of anyone's creditors objecting - I've not seen it mentioned here before.)

As always, this board is a godsend.
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  21:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The creditors must have a valid reason for objecting. It cannot be that you owe them mony for instance. A valid objection would be something like did you knpw that they have that villa in spain that they havent told you about etc etc
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  22:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do know someone whose creditors objected, but I'm not sure of the reasons.

My advice to anyone going BR is expect to be discharged after 12 months and don't get your hopes up for ED. If it happens it's good, if not, 12 months isn't long in the great scheme of things, especially to be debt free.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

26 IPA payments made, 10 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

tiredandfedup
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2009 :  22:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My worry was whether there was something going on about an objection which I don't know about, and would I have been notified if this was the case.

I am aware that early discharge is a bonus and not a right, but having had it mentioned it is naturally in my mind. It may make no practical difference but it would make a huge psychological one.

Anxiety knows no reason!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page