Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I am filing my bankruptcy at Plymouth this Friday
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mrsroller

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  16:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am filing my bankruptcy at Plymouth this Friday and I thank you for all the advice on this forum. I suddenly had a thought about my wages. I am paid four weekly which means that once a year I get 2 wage payments in one month. I only have wage slips to confirm 4 weekly wages and this is the money I have to play with each month. If I work out my wages by calender month it would of course be a bit more but I dont actually get that each month so how does all this affect my Incomings and Outgoings. I dont want to mislead anyone!!

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  16:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work out your salary on a monthly basis (mulitply one 4week salary by 13 and divide by 12) but clearly state on the form - actually receive £x - 4 weekly)
Make sure yo open a new basic bank account unlinked to any of your creditors - beofre filing for bankruptcy and transfer your salary into the new account together with any necessary DD's such as mortgage/rent utilities etc - don't transfer any DD's for debts

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
email me at melanienicholas@jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  16:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathryn,

I hope all went well in Plymouth today - as I have said on many postings, my experience of Plymouth CC and the OR has been good.

I wish you well and look forward to seeing some positive postings from you very soon!!

Regards, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  16:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooops!!

Misread - see it is Friday NOT today - silly me!!
Anyway, I still wish you well on Friday...

Richard

Go to Top of Page

Mrsroller

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  16:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard. Fingers crossed all will be well. Maybe my stomach will stop churning then - or maybe not, im not the luckiest person in the world lol
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  16:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathryn,

I am sure you will be fine - have you got a friend to go with you? They probably would make you feel a bit stronger.

Cannot remember if you live in Plymouth. I take it you know where the County Court is and where the ORs office is located?

Good luck anyway and let us know afterwards some positives...!

Richard

Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  17:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again Kathryn,

Just picking up on what Melanie said about a basic bank account.

I have found the Coop Cashminder to be great and so do most BR people

It just happens to be between Plymouth County Court and the ORs office in Armada Way. They are very friendly in that branch - most of the BRs in Plymouth are now customers!!

Richard

Go to Top of Page

Mrsroller

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  17:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I have my husband coming with me who has been an absolute rock. I havent told too many friends as they may feel bad of me.
I dont know where the OR's office is, when will I need that. Im going tomorrow to the Co-op bank to try and open the new account. In view of my having to wait 5 weeks for a BR appointment the Co-op must be doing rather well lol.
Thanks again for all your support
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  17:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

The ORs office is in Cobourg Street - Cobourg House on the first floor - the same building as the local CAB (They are on the 2nd floor.

What happened with me was:

Filed the petition at the County Court at 10.00 am 19th May

Had an interim appointment immediately afterwards - 10.30 on 19th May - that lasted 1 hour - I had been prepared for an initial visit and gave over some details to the investigator.

Had full interview on 9th June at 9.00 am - lasted until 6.00 pm!!! I believe it may be a record!!

My BR was a bit complex - we had two businesses in the City (Letting and Estate Agents)

Do not worry that your will take that long - chances are you could have a telephone interview. Even if you have a face to face, my experience of the Plymouth office of the OR is that they are very helpful (and also very busy!!)

Again, good luck, Regards, Richard

Go to Top of Page

samanthadm
Starting Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  21:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there, I too will be filing shortly in Plymouth and am busy fending off creditors. I note Mrs Roller says it took five weeks to get an appointment. This worries me. I am trying to hold on as long as possible in order to save as much money as I can and move out of my mortgaged property into a new rented one.We have a rental property lined up for the end of October. I want to declare BR at my current address so timing is crucial. Does anyone out there have a step-by-step process they can share with me? Once we petiton for BR does that fend everybody off whilst we wait for an appointment? Is there a big wait between the court date and meeting with the OR also. Great to speak with people in our area. Thanks everyone

things . . . can only get better
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2009 :  22:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Sam,

I went BR in May in the Plymouth County Court. I live in Plymouth and up until April/May had two businesses in the city.

For me the process was very very fast.

I had borrowed far too much and was not coping - sleeplessness etc - Did NOT share it with my family and two of my most loved people, (eldest daughter and wife) worked in the family estate and letting agency practice.

In mid April I became very depressed and attempted suicide!

For a few weeks, I was in the wilderness with everyone. On the 18th May, I went to see an IP (ree interview). He said BR is all that I can do - fast and furious!!

Later that day, a friend and I went to the county court, collected a couple of SOAs and before leaving, asked when was the next appearance before the DJ. We have a cancellation tomorrow at 10.00!! OK said me and my friend book it!

I went home panicked and spent the next 8 hours filling out the SOA.

10.00 am - went to the Plymouth CC - paid over £510 - appeared before the DJ - 3 minutes - she was very nice and made me feel Ok about what was happening.

10.30 - went to the OR (They were expecting me). Gave an initial statement - lasted 1 hour - I gave the OR some information forms statements etc - arranged for interview for 9th June

The next day decided to get the landline number changed - no cost and the best thing we did

The next day - opened a Co-op Cashminder a/c - good move - very BR friendly.

9th June - 9.15 arrived at OR office with three crates of goods!!! Left the ORs office at 6.00 pm - shook his hand and thanked him - he said I could call him by his first name (I have not done so). He said it will be an automatic discharge - no creditors meeting, no IPA or IPO -

Two weeks later I am aware that the creditors letters went out and now I am awaiting to hear about my wife buying the BI in our properties - they are both border line Negative equity.

The calls had stopped - the letters have now (almost) stopped

That is a potted history - it was a big decision - so far I think it was right - in my heart I know it was - hurt when I drove passsed my shop a few weeks ago and the signs were down - that made me very sad

Building up and getting ready to adjust to the future

Has changed the way I look at life...

Richard

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page