•Bankruptcy Information Center
•What is Bankruptcy?
•Is Bankruptcy right for me?

•How to declare Bankruptcy?
•What happens to my assets?
•Bankruptcy and credit rating


•Bankruptcy News

Media Room:
•Press releases
•Media Coverage

•About BankruptcyHelp
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 bankrupted over a year ago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Junior Member

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2009 :  13:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all,
i was made BR over a year ago, will the OR send me a discharge notice?
also, how best do i go about rebuilding my credit file?

forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2009 :  15:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can request a discharge certificate from the court where you were declared BR but it will cost you £60. A cheaper option is to print off the entry from the Insolvency Register (http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/) showing you have been discharged.

To clean up your credit file have a look at the following thread - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?s=cb2f11b2c3b30cb86f39aa7acf342114&t=677875
Go to Top of Page


United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2009 :  15:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is more than a year since your BR, then you should have been given automatic discharge.

I'm pretty sure that you don't get a certificate unless you ask for one, and you will have to pay.

Check your entry on the Insolvency Register - if it is still on there then you can print this off as it will say that you are discharged.

As to your credit file, the BR will remain on there until 6 years from the date of the BR.

You can help by keeping up to date with your bank account, mortgage/rent, mobile phone. If you have any defaults registered after the date you were declared BR, write to the creditors and tell them to remove the defaults as they are not allowed to put them on afterwards.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Go to Top of Page

Junior Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2009 :  17:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Firstly well done for coming out of the back end of the Bankruptcy Machine. Like me I am sure you have found it a tremendous relief and yes telling the moneysuckers to Foxtrot Oscar was a fabulous feeling. Right steps to help you repair your credit....

1) If anyone claims to be able to do it for you BEWARE!! They are liars. The only person who can do it is you and time.

2) Get yourself a proper bank account NAT West Step was great for me. I had a proper Debit Card not some silly Cashcard (Nationwide take note). They were fully aware of my Bankruptcy yet within 13 months I had upgraded to a normal Cheque account. When I asked them why as I had owed them over £80K I was told... "but Sir you now have no debts, a regular job and salary going into the account YOU ARE A GOOD RISK!! Thinking like that I guess I am.

3) Apply for Vanquis Credit Card. Be 100% open about your bankruptcy and yes you will get a Visa card but beware it will be a tiny limit to start with (Typically £200). and will charge 40% APR. You use it petrol tickets etc BUT ALWAYS PAY OFF THE BALANCE EACH MONTH. (Remember how you got to go Bankrupt the first time) and at least you will have some credit rather than none. After a few months they will up you limit and so on. Mine is now £1500 and more than enough. Why do you need huge credit limits just to get in debt once again. The interest could be a 1000% but if you pay it off each month, it cost nothing!

4) If you find the need to apply for credit, new phone electricity account etc. Be up front honest and declare you discharged bankruptcy and also declare you hold a current visa Credit Card (Vanquis) BT, EDF and British Gas have all given me accounts post BR Indeed British Gas REMOVED the pre-payment meter I had during the "Hard Times"

5) So you now have a decent Bank Account a line of basic credit and the abilityto open basic credit accounts (using a reference from a previous account). Sit back and wait for all the bad history to fall off your file. (6yrs)

If of course you are stupid enough to fall back into old ways then it is up to you. Some people will never be helped but I hope this answers some questions. It has certainly worked for me and I am 31 months on from BR and no IPA! No threat letters and no phone calls from the money sucking vampires. I have my life abck thanks to this forum!
Go to Top of Page

Junior Member

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  10:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks once again guys
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06