Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 advice please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

soph1976
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  18:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right where do i start?? i have made my date for bankrupcy hearing 9th nov at 9am, but i am soo worid.
I have debts of approx £35k, about 5k is shared with hubby but due to him having an injury he doesnt work and i have 4 kids to look after.
Now what i am worid about is my shared debts will pass on to him? i think he will go for a dro as his debts are less than 15k.
One of the debits is for overpayment of council tax will this get written off? The overpayment was because i worked fo 6 months and forgot to inform the council i am paying them back at £5 a week do i continue to do this??
Also i got divorced 4 years ago so have put that on my form but i can not remember exactly wat i spent the money on.
When i telephoned the court they said who is doing the bankrupcy i said self and they seemesd not happy, so i went to the cab and they were totally useless they could offer me no advice as they dont agree with bankrupcy.

things can only get better x

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  18:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't the CAB agree with bankruptcy?

Yes, shared debts will fall to your husband to pay.

Not sure about the council tax tbh.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  19:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Sorry to lean of your problems.

I am surprised at the CAB - what did they say that made them not agree with BR? Was it your case or BR per se?

I am sure an expert or someone with specific knowledge will answer your questions.

I just wanted to let you know people do care and we are all in need of a kind word to help us through...

Good luck, Richard x

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page

In 2 Deep

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  20:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho Soph,

You can include previous council tax arrears from past years, but not the current year.
Not sure why the CAB was against BR, probably just the individual you had the misfortune of dealing with on the day.

Gd Luck and post back with your experience.
quote:
Originally posted by soph1976

Right where do i start?? i have made my date for bankrupcy hearing 9th nov at 9am, but i am soo worid.
I have debts of approx £35k, about 5k is shared with hubby but due to him having an injury he doesnt work and i have 4 kids to look after.
Now what i am worid about is my shared debts will pass on to him? i think he will go for a dro as his debts are less than 15k.
One of the debits is for overpayment of council tax will this get written off? The overpayment was because i worked fo 6 months and forgot to inform the council i am paying them back at £5 a week do i continue to do this??
Also i got divorced 4 years ago so have put that on my form but i can not remember exactly wat i spent the money on.
When i telephoned the court they said who is doing the bankrupcy i said self and they seemesd not happy, so i went to the cab and they were totally useless they could offer me no advice as they dont agree with bankrupcy.

Treat EVERY Penny as a prisoner.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  20:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soph

Go back to CAB as I am sure you will get good advice - their training is very good across the UK and they are NOT allowed to show any form of prejudice - they certainly would not be "against" BR as an option

Good luck, Richard

Go to Top of Page

Falling Apart
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 27 October 2009 :  23:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Soph

Sorry to hear of your experience with the CAB.

Despite detailing my debt of £75k and small disposable income, my local CAB advised me to enter a DMP and avoid BR (after 2 interviews). However, I went to the CAB at the High Court and they advised BR would be the best option.

So I think it really depends on the area (or person) for some reason. Perhaps you could try a different CAB for a second opinion.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 28 October 2009 :  07:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't get any joy with the CAB you can always speak to the CCCS or National Debtline. You can also speak to one of the professional companies that post on this board:

Jones Giles - http://www.jonesgiles.co.uk/
Reviva UK: http://www.revivauk.com/

Don't forget that the final decision on whether to go for a DMP, IVA or BR is YOURS. Even if everyone advises you to go for a DMP you can still declare yourself BR.
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 28 October 2009 :  10:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We found CAB really good, they got the bankruptcy forms for us and helped us fill them in and checked them and then photocopied them for us, all for free.

Go to Top of Page

soph1976
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  07:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well when ever i go to cab i always seem to get the old man who does not know nothing:( (sorry not sexiest or ageist) I asked him if he can give me some advice regarding bankrupcy and that i had my forms mainly filled in can he have a quick look at them withme, he went out of the room 3 times to ask his boss for advice each time coming back with we can not deal with that hereas we do not recommend bankrupcy as an option you need to see a debt advisor and ours walked out!!!! i have tried a dmp but was bullied by the company a lot into taking out there other products, i can not get an iva as we dont work and so br is my only option.
I dont really want to go back ther to be told the same it took me a lot of courage to go in he first place :(

Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  08:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soph,

I am so sad that you have had this experience from the CAB.

They are celebrating 70 years of being there this year and are a fully committed organisation to equal opportunities and diversity.

I am aware that they will advise on BR, but not a business BR - is yours a business that has gone BR?

Do you live in a town or city that is very small?

I know the even most rural areas that have a CAB - they are very good and have some top quality advisers - most strange.

Try the National Debtline online - you can also phone them - my wife has used them and they are great - she is not BR - just come to an arrangement with her creditors.

The other thing to do is look on the CAB website - it is also very good.

I do wish you well, Richard

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page