Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 car insurance withdrawn !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2009 :  13:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear all

here is a warning to all.

NORWICH UNION WILL CANCEL YOUR CAR INSURANCE BECAUSE YOU ARE BANKRUPT AND DO NOT HAVE TO TELL YOU..

PLease check with your insurance company before you drive your own car

I have been insured both home and two car insurance with norwich union / aviva for the past 6 years. (only one claim 4 yrs ago)

normally on renewal, i just let it tick over for following year and the monthly direct debit then pays for the insuarnce. none of the policies are over 500.

when my wife went BR we informed them of our situation and agreed to pay for the house ins. monthly in advance they happy to take the money.

My Wife went BR in July and since then i have continued to pay the monthly DD for all of the insurances.

The car insurance policy expired in Sept, i called NORWICH U to confirm renewal, no probs every thing as normal.

due to lots of other finance issues going on i did not notice that the payment for one of the cars had not come from my account. (not on this occasion due to lack of funds but they had not asked bank for money) I am not BR yet so it should not be a problem for me to pay monthly.

yesterday, i activated a police ANPR system and i was stopped as the police computer showed i did not have insurance..

potential penalty 6 penalty points on my licence, 200 fine no insuance and fee of 250 to recover the car because it had been seized !

(fortuantly as i was driving and was fully comp on my other car, I was able to show that the car was covered. My wife would not have had a leg to stand on and would have had all the penalties).

I have had a very high volume discussion with Norwich union, well the call office a million miles away. they have admitted resposibility and will write to the police.

The Clerk has informed me that Norwich Union / Aviva now consider Jayne a high risk and they had cancelled the policy on the car but as they had not written to me to confirm their management of information change they would take responsibility. They have a back log and are slowly going to write to all policy holders in similar situation but the clerk informed me they do not have to write to all policy holders as it is the drivers resposibility to ensure they are insured

I can stay with Norwich union but this years policy has now gone upto 505 which they want paid in advance.......

No prizes for guessing my response

i am aware that the COOP are BR friendly for bank accounts does any one have similar positive fro car insurance.

i do not know if the site hosts can put this warning on a key question as it effects most of us

My wife has just about coped with BR, losing the car and being heavily fined when she needs the car for work would i am sure have sent my wife over the top

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2009 :  13:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard, that's awful and I don't see how they can think it's acceptable.

When we moved a couple of years ago we were trying to get home insurance and it was difficult because we are in a flood risk area. Norwich Union were happy to insure us until they found I was bankrupt when they wouldn't touch us.

When I was bankrupt I was insured with Churchill and I phoned them and told them and they didn't have a problem. When I was looking for quotes I also contacted the RAC as well and they said it was ok.

That was a couple of years ago, so I you'd need to contact them to make sure.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.

BTW I've made this topic a 'sticky' so that it will stay at the top of the main forum index.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

28 IPA payments made, 8 to go - in single figures!
Go to Top of Page

sjbyron
Average Member

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2009 :  10:10:34  Show Profile  Send sjbyron an AOL message  Click to see sjbyron's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Halifax, zurich and elephant are BR friendly. Greenflag isnt, ome of the bigger names such as coop, morethan want an annual lump sum payment rather than monthly.

Barclays wont insure a undischarged

Best of luck

Stu J Byron
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2009 :  11:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm insured with the Co-op and I had to pay in one lump sum. I borrowed the money from my uncle as it was nearly £150 cheaper than my previous insurer.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

28 IPA payments made, 8 to go - in single figures!
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2009 :  21:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks to those that have posted so far, ill make some calls on monday and update later this week

I have been doing some research this link below is provided by the motor insurance bureau (the people who supply the Police and DVLA with their info.

I have presssed in both my indexes of my cars . It shows that i am now insured !!!!!!

Norwich Union have provided me with 30 day cover note whilst i resolve issues !

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

spend 5 mins now just checking your own car it may save you hundreds and 6 penalty points on your licence

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2009 :  21:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've stayed with the same insurer for a number of years. I have no windscreen excess and only £75 other excess. It is slightly more expensive than others I have looked at but I'll stick with it.

I pay monthly and have never had any problems with that.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2009 :  22:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan

thanks for post what company ?
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2009 :  22:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royal and Sun Alliance via a broker.

I have been with them since before financial worries, so don't know if that makes any difference.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2009 :  12:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Thanks for this. It hadn't occured to me that I could be at risk of not being insured for my car. I am with Elephant insurance for my car and with Churchill for my house insurance and both are monthly direct debits. I did not inform them of my bankruptcy and payments have been made monthly without any problems. I have just checked the car insurance database and I seem to be okay with that as my car is appearing as being on the database....phew!

It just seems another hurdle you have to jump over when it comes to bankruptcy. Why the hell should it matter as long as you are paying for the insurance on time. At least the insurers could inform you if there are problems rather than saying nothing and you ending up paying penalties because you@re not insured even if you thought you were>

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

sjbyron
Average Member

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2009 :  19:03:07  Show Profile  Send sjbyron an AOL message  Click to see sjbyron's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HI

When I was planning of going BR, and was contemplating keeping the car, I was with Elephant and when i spoke to them they said that they were happy as long as I kept the payment up, however when it renews the amount may be higher due to the risk,

Halifax are happy to offer insurance on a monthly basis

Stu J Byron
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2009 :  19:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My company know nothing about my financial situation, and I have no intention of telling them.

People who are BR, IVA or in a DMP are no more of a risk than anyone else.

If I don't pay, they cancel the insurance, simple as that.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

leakie

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2009 :  21:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Ihave had the same probs with my Public liability insurance, when I questioned why they said it is on the advise of FSA were not to be trusted,
What they are saying is because we went br we must be dishonest people,
trouble is the biggest crooks are the insurane companies themselves

all the best

leakie
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2009 :  22:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard - hi - have been away with granddaighter for a few days - have read this and am astonished and angry that insurance firms are able to deal with BR in this way - we do not have two heads - MOST of us are Kosher and were in a position that was brought about by borrowing too much (as we were encouraged, I have to say!!)

MOST of us are not criminals, murderes or rapists - so why.

I say that for 14 years I was a respectable, professional businessman - along comes Dr Gordon Brown and coupled with the fact that I had borrowed too much, the recession brought me down, nothing else.

We only have one car at present - I am on my wifes insurance as a named driver so no problem.

I was with "Aviva" up to the car going a few months ago - I am told I can have a £2,000 car by the agent who sold it for the OR - he sold it for Parkers price I assume and less his commission and the £2K for my new car - I am looking again this week 0 I do not think there is a limit is there?

Anyway, I will not approach Aviva again - I will try SAGA - (I am 57 so qualify) Will post with my result in due course.

In the meantime good luck Richard P, Richard (Housing)

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page

troubled mind
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2009 :  20:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am new to the forum and my partner and I are considering going BR. We both need a car for work, my partner has a banger worth nothing really and mine is worth about 4k. Will I have to sell it? Could someone please help?

Tina
Go to Top of Page

stonecoldbroke
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2009 :  21:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a car on finance which I have just sold for the parkers guide value of 4k. The finance paid off and I was left with £800 which I have just bought a car with as I need for work etc like many. I was advised on this forum that this was ok as it was an HP agreement with finance secured on it so thats what I have done. I go to court on Monday 9th for my BK so hopefully what I have done is ok. I think you are only allowed a car up to 2k but Im sure one of the experts will advise.
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2009 :  22:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
troubled mind

their is no exact answer to the car, the normal rule of thumb is if the car is valued over 2K yes it is going (sorry) but even then to keep a car you must show necesitity

when you start talking about BR, cars and houses it is always best to speak to one of the forum experts because every ones situation is very different

Give Paul @ reviva a ring as he has helped position us that we have been able to show a genuine need for a car

Regards Richard
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page