Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 better? worse? or doesn't make a difference?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

totally lost

116 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  10:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

Just another quick question:

* Does it make any difference to a BR case if nearly all the debt has been passed on to debt agencies/collection?

* In this day and age with so many people struggling with debt...rather that declaring BR and not paying any money to debt agencies/banks etc...wouldnt they be better off accepting even the smallest amount as settlement rather than loosing out completely??

Many thanks for any replies

Karen Jane
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  10:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Totally Lost,

If it helps, all of my debts were with Debt Collection Agencies when I declared Bankrupt in September so I wouldn't worry too much.

How are things going, do you know when you will be declaring yet?

Karen xx
Go to Top of Page

totally lost

116 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  11:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen Jane

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have now at least paid abit towards my BR firm that will help me (well known to the forum) as I couldnt go through this alone and I should be able to declare BR after payday end of Jan10...so not too long to go.
I have had a few threat-letters but for some reason its been nearly 2+ weeks since the last one. Its such a relief to come home to no letters at all!I do however live in constant fear that suddenly a collection agency will ring the door bell...

I have good days where I believe my case is fairly straight forward as my debt is relatively 'old'and I tried for nearly 5 years in a DMP and I come out the other end with a discharge certificate in my hand and can look to the future......
....and then I have bad days where I'm convinced my case will be utterly investigated and I'll be asked how I can live with myself having gotten into this level of debt etc.

I prefer the good days :)

Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  11:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Totally lost

I understand totally how you feel, each time a car pulls up near the house I am looking out of the window

Like you I have a company working with / for me, they arranged to "intercept" My mail, has meant lots mentally not having to read the threats, same threats just slightly different words.

Makes no difference to OR who holds the final debt, may be a time delay before they all find out.

agree with your comment about banks / debt agencies but that is their loss for being uncomprimising

Chin Up .. BR day is approaching then you can start planning your future properly. the day is no where near as bad as your gut feeling says it is going to be

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  12:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In fact it is probably better as it is an immediate indication that you have not used credit for some time if all your debts are with DCA's

Edited by - debtinfo on 02 December 2009 12:11:34
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  12:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unsecured debts whether in the hands of DCAs or original creditors, it doesn't matter , they are included in BR and as already said it just shows that you havn't been using credit for a while.

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurman)
RevivaUK helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page

totally lost

116 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  14:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks do much to all replies!!

It's so heartwarming and uplifting to have support from this forum, so thanks so much again!!

I last used credit approx 2003/4( Robbed Peter to pay Paul etc) and have lived without credit ever since...and quite proud of it really! It is quite possible...specially now with internet banking.
I carefully stick with weekly budgets/monthly budgets and have a simple basic account.I also have a basic second account where I transfer money towards bills like car ins,car tax,mot other living bills.So I try to be as organised as I can.

Calming to hear other people out there are weary of cars turning up outside and door bells ringing etc. It will be a unfamiliar life to feel free after BR...but one that I so long for and wait for...sigh

Have a great evening everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Karen Jane
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  14:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Totally Lost

I didn't use credit for nearly 10 years upon declaring bankruptcy, and my examiner was really good, I didn't have to send in any bank statements etc only letters from the Debt Collection Agencies. He had no interest in my Co-op Account which was a relief as I had only just set it up and fortunately Brighton OR office had changed their ruling on bank accounts the week before I declared.

I hadn't paid any of my creditors for 11 months before declaring, I also moved during that time, but to my knowledge no-one turned up to my previous address.

I hope all goes well for you, I used Paul Johns at Reviva to help me with mine and he also attended Court with me on the day, which went very smooth. He is a lovely man and very good at his job.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Karen xx
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  15:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen Jane
I had his younger, thinner and more lovely apprentice looking after me but same service helped us right the way through the process and beyond.

unfortuantly we did have a visitor at the front door, but neither of us was in, he did not have a warrant or court order so we arranged a meeting at a neutral venue.

Regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

totally lost

116 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2009 :  10:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karen Jane

Hi Totally Lost

I didn't use credit for nearly 10 years upon declaring bankruptcy, and my examiner was really good, I didn't have to send in any bank statements etc only letters from the Debt Collection Agencies. He had no interest in my Co-op Account which was a relief as I had only just set it up and fortunately Brighton OR office had changed their ruling on bank accounts the week before I declared.

I hadn't paid any of my creditors for 11 months before declaring, I also moved during that time, but to my knowledge no-one turned up to my previous address.

I hope all goes well for you, I used Paul Johns at Reviva to help me with mine and he also attended Court with me on the day, which went very smooth. He is a lovely man and very good at his job.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Karen xx

Hi Karen and mega-thanks for you reply. (and thanks to all other replies)

My 'story' is remarkably similar to yours and I am too thankfully getting guidance and help from Paul Johns/Reviva.
Im in the early stages of their assistance but feel such relief having their help/knowledge and support!
It would be such a bonus if I could keep my now everyday bank account.
It is not connected to any debt and Its a basic account with a debit card...and of course no overdraft. Time will tell.
I will keep you posted. Roll on end of Jan / Feb

Have a great day to all!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page