Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 i'm thinking of voluntary bankruptcy.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

caroline.cn
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2009 :  10:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm thinking of voluntary bankruptcy. i lost my job 6 months ago and am now on income support. i have bailiffs knocking on my door demanding money here there and everywhere and my car is now clamped on my drive! i only receive a small amount of money and see bankruptcy as my only option of escape from these people. what i need to know is if it is correct i can never hold a personal licence and run a pub if i do this?

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2009 :  13:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Caroline and welcome to the forum,

I think you need to try to establish what debts you have and maybe either contact one of the insolvency experts direct (details on the experts section) or post here in general terms.

As I understand the personal licence situation you are not able to hold a personal licence in the licenced trade during the period you are undischarged. I believe after BR you can again hold one.

On the bailiffs, what are they calling for? Have some of your creditors taken you to court? Otherwise they have no authority to call and certainly, do not let them have access beyond your front dooor and DO NOT allow them to take any of your goods. Some of these debt collection agents work way outside of the law when they see an opportunity.

Good luck and post for some more assistance, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."

Edited by - Housing on 07 December 2009 13:51:38
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2009 :  14:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personal licences are no problem after you are discharged ffrom BR but not during

as has been said it may be worthwhile taking some advice from the forum Professional experts like Paul Johns from RevivaUK or mel from jones giles
some people sort themselves out through BR but others like to know someone has got it all in hand and having someone dealing with problems as and when they arise like Bailiffs etc.

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurman)
RevivaUK helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page

caroline.cn
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2009 :  22:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello again, thank u for taking the time to reply! i just dont know what to do. i have 2 bailiffs from the same company knocking, one is for council tax and one is for a parking fine. the parking fine i simply couldnt pay in full so made a part payment, the next thing i know they are here! i spoke to the council who say they're money is £190... the bailiffs have bumped this up and it now stands at £845. same with council tax...it is now £1200. no matter how much i've managed to scrape from one source or another its never enough!! i've spent the last week locked in my house crying feeling like a total failure to my daughter..i just feel defeated and dont know where to turn! :)
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  07:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are on income support then there is no way that you are going to be able to pay these fines but what is the total cost of your debt?

If it is just these fines then declaring BR is a bit extreme. You could try a Debt Relief Order (DRO) as these are for debts totalling less than £15k but even then this is also extreme for a debt of less than £1500.

I would suggest you speak to your local CAB. They will be able to suggest the best option and also administer DROs. They may also be able to set up a DMP (Debt Management Program) and have the interest on these debts frozen while you continue to make the part payments.
Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  08:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add fines are called a 'non-provable debt' and as such are not included in a bankruptcy and must be paid.

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
email me at melanienicholas@jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  15:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mel is right, fines cannot be included in BR. It would be worth speaking to the court that issued the fines as they may be able to arrange for you to go before a means court to ask for time to pay.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

29 IPA payments made, 7 to go - in single figures!
Go to Top of Page

charlie44

231 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  15:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought a parking fine could be included in your BR as long as it was not issued by the Police!

Life`s Tragedy is that we get old too soon
and WISE too late!
Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  15:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All fines are exempt from bankruptcy as are child maintenance debts both are classed non-provable and unable to be included in a bankruptcy

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
email me at melanienicholas@jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

charlie44

231 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  16:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Melanie, what about fixed penalty charges, can these be included?

and WISE too late!
Go to Top of Page

caroline.cn
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  20:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello skippy. thanks for ur post.
contacting the courts that issued the fines sounds like quite an attractive idea...i guess it would be my local courts?? my knowledge on these things isnt very good!! i dont suppose you would have any idea if they can be quite accomadating to this sort of thing?
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  20:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to work in the court service, but it's a while ago! Give the court that issued the fines a call, and they should be able to advise you. You can find the contact details on HMCS website - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/

I can't guarantee they would be able to give you time to pay, but it's worth a go x

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

Go to Top of Page

caroline.cn
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  20:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you so much. will give you an update! feel much more confident knowing peeps like you are willing to help! :)
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  20:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt quite nostalgic talking about the court service! It's a long time since I left, but it was a brilliant (if poorly paid!) job, but sadly now I've been BR it looks as though I could never work in the court service again.

Good luck, and please keep posting x

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2009 :  21:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have thought that a fixed penalty charge was classed the same as a fine and you would not be able to include it.

I wouldn't think that fines etc could be included in a DRO either.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

charlie44

231 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2009 :  09:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is taken from the IS tech manual, and if I am reading it right a fixed penalty charge issued by a local authority is not classed as a fine!

40.22A Penalty Charge Notices (frequently referred to as “fines”)
Fixed penalty notices or penalty charge notices issued on behalf of a local authority, including those in relation to the London congestion charge, are not fines for the purpose of section 150 of the Magistrates Act 1980. They should be treated as provable debts and will be released on discharge from bankruptcy. This is applicable to the majority of parking fines.

Hope this clears this up..

and WISE too late!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page