Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 how long does the bankruptcy process take
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stuart48
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  15:16:15  Show Profile  Visit stuart48's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how long does the bankruptcy process take

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  15:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stuart

Welcome, and before there can be some help, it would be helpful to have some detail in outline:-

In what way do you mea; how long does it take - where are you at the moment with your finances?

For example, have you taken any advice from an insolvency expert? Do you know that bankruptcy is your best option? How much are your debts? Do you own any property - and if so, is there any equity?

I am sure the forum will be able to assist with your situation and offer you guidance

Come back and lets see what can be done for you, regards, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  15:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stuart

welcome to the forum as housing has stated depends how far you are down the slope !

my answer for my circumstances will be longer than most

years bulding up debts borrowing more money to just pay debts and years of sticking head in sand

many incoming phone calls and threatening letters.

3 - 6 months to get my prep done and with the help of my expert correctly position and confirm that BR. was the correct route for me (house, job , pension etc)

3 - 4 weeks to get bankruptcy court date, (each court differs) although i have applied to get cancellation and one has come in this morning for friday !

from my wife experience 10 mins on phone to expert who completed Statement of affairs

1 sleepless night before court

15 mins panicing outside court

2 mins with judge

5 cups of coffee waiting for confirmation that she was BR

90 min interview with official receiver, who was very nice

been totally compliant with OR hopefully no IPA so BR will last a year (as Housing states early discharge is bonus not a right).

biggest hint i can offer for any one, get your head out of the sand , denial, if you do not understand the process dont be affraid to ASK or use the proffesionals and experts on this forum, then get control back of your future.

but it has all been worth it as the stress and negative feeling have been lifted and we can plan for our future

regards Richard

Edited by - Richard P on 15 December 2009 15:53:55
Go to Top of Page

mick1972a

235 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  16:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi we were made BR 29th April, it usually lasts a year and we were one of the fortunate ones who got early discharge at the end of november with no IPA so from going BR to discharge 7 months for us. Each case is different though.
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 16 December 2009 :  09:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as Richard has said the time before BR is more important than the 12 month BR period itself
making sure it is right for you and your circumstances and then planning it all so it is under your control and you don't get carried along with it
the court bit and the OR interview should be relatively harmless and then times flies to discharge date
of maximum 12 months as long as you cooperate with the OR

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurman)
RevivaUK helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page