Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 WHEN IS IT OKAY TO ADVISE MY CREDITORS I
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miss babs
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  08:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i AM PHONING THE COURT TODAY FOR A HEARING DATE, SHOULD i WAIT UNTIL THE HEARING BEFORE I LET MY CREDITORS KNOW, OR IS IT OKAY TO ADVISE THEM I AM FILING FOR BANKCRUPTCY AND HAVE A HEARING DATE. THE LETTERS AND CALLS ARE ESCALATING AND THE PHONE SEEMS TO BE RINGING EVERY 20 MINS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  10:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
take the phone off the hook until you get a date

some courts are running upto 6 weeks behind schedule

I found that once i was within 4 weeks of court date the creditors just said Ok tell us when you are BR, anytime greater than 4 weeks and they think that they may get their paperwork in beofre you and accelerate any action they may be considering.

which court district are you resident in ?

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  11:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if you tell your creditors that you are declaring BR and provide them with the date they will still phone you. In fact you may even find that they will call you more often as they will know once you are BR that they will not get their money back.

I would tell the creditors now that you are declaring BR and then not bother answering the calls any more.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  11:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning miss babs and welcome to the forum,

We all know exactly what you are going through and believe me, it does get better eventually...

I agree with gettingoutofdebt and would inform your creditors now. The next thing I would suggest is that you change the number of your landline and when doing that ensure that you are ex directory - it will be very very diffiult for them to bother you then!!

There will be no charge if you tell the phone company you are getting nuisance calls and from my experience earlier this year, it will take about 1 week to arrange (depends how busy the engineers are at the moment).

If you do not have a home telephone and they are badgering you on your mobile - on the assumption that you may have a contract phone and that contract phone may be going into your BR, purchase a pay as you go - that, of course is not free, but the cost may be worthwhile and give your ears a rest and reduce your stress levels!!

Finally, have you looked at all of your options to come to the view that BR is the best for you and your situation? If not, you will need to do so to demonstrate that you have looked at all other options. You can use thuis forum as there are amongst the best insolvency experts in the country that post here and they will give you the advice to get you to the stage you need to be at.

Good luck, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  11:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing to do is, if you do business via the internet with these companies....Log on and change your phone number. This is what i did with Egg e.t.c. and Hey Presto...the calls stopped!.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  12:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good advice memphisd56

Egg are really horrid to their "customers". My wife is taking them through the Ombudsmans complaint process - she is not BR by the way - not sure if the option is there if you are BR as the debt goes when the Br is discharged.

Richard

Edited by - Housing on 15 December 2009 12:11:06
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  12:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning Housing

I think that Paul Johns was also looking at a complaint for EGG perhaps Sue and he can share stories.

Miss Babs do you have a court date yet.

when they ring me I always fail their data protection check so even if i wanted to speak to them i could not !!!!!!!

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  13:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard,

I will email Paul - or Paul, you have my email address - I cannot disclose without Sues consent - she is out at present - not back till tonight

Richard

Go to Top of Page

averagejoegoesbankrupt
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  20:18:43  Show Profile  Visit averagejoegoesbankrupt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with the comments here - tell nobody until you are bankrupt - talking to them any earlier simply isn't in your interest.

Best of luck,

Average Joe
http://averagejoegoesbankrupt.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 16 December 2009 :  09:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tell them nothing about BR until the week before and even then thats only if you want to.
tell them you are taking advice regarding your finances and your future debt control situation
if you have particularly annoying creditors when they ask the security questions give the wrong answers and they have to terminate the call
i found the odd threst of reporting some creditors for harassment to the financial ombudsman stopped the frequency of calls somewhat

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurman)
RevivaUK helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page