Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 my marriage fell apart when my husband walked out,
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gemma_st
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  20:18:48  Show Profile  Visit gemma_st's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my marriage fell apart when my husband walked out, he had a bike on finance, and three credit cards, i had one which i paid off, declared himself bankrupt and left me trying to afford the mortgage and the loan secured on the house, i wasn't able to afford this on my own, along with the bills, i have moved in with my parents, the house has been repossesed, leaving me with the following £25k on the left over mortgage £30k on the secured loan, £700 for a joint overdraft we had, and £1200 for my overdraft, can i declare myself bankrupt, I want to start a fresh, move out of my parents and try build my credit rating back up. i'm struggling, i've tried before but they refused me, pleaes advise, i'm drowning and don't know what to do next

averagejoegoesbankrupt
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  20:31:08  Show Profile  Visit averagejoegoesbankrupt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really sorry to hear this.

I hope that you can remember that everyone deserves a second chance at life - and you are no exception. Yes, you can get away from all this. Far more knowledgeable people on this site that me will be able to advise you - bankruptcy is only one option, you may have others open to you, like IVA for example.

There really is light at the end of the tunnel, you *will* get this all behind you - and I'm sure the experts on this forum will see you right.

All the very best,

Average Joe
http://averagejoegoesbankrupt.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  22:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Gemma,

Welcome to the forum and as averagejoe has said, there will be a way forward for you.

Given it looks like from what you have said, there may be some joint loans and if that is the case, I am not qualified to advise on that particular aspect.

There may be some need to establish what needs to be done to tidy up the situation up first of all. I am positive one of the insolvency experts on this site will see what you have posted, and make some suggestions.

On the face of it some of the creases need to be ironed out - I am sure for the right qualified insolvency expert, that will be relatively easy to do - I suspect now that posting will come tomorrow as it is quite late in the day.

You have said you had the house re-possessed and are at your parents now and want to get to a situation where you can get back your independence - although this may take a while, it will be possible and as a parent of 4 grown up daughters, I fully appreciate your position and your parents, sound as though they are trying hard to assist you in the immediate to short term.

May be best to stick with that for a while - let`s get you the advice you need and where you stand with a solution that may include BR or may not...

My area of knowledge (even though I am BR) is homelesses and housing legislation and how to get the best solution using Statute. I may be able to offer you some guidance, but would need a little bit more detail of your situation.

Equally, there are others who will be able to share their experiences with you and guide you. Back to how I may be able to through in some advice is as below:-

Do you have any children and do you have with you - are they at school?

Do you have sole access or does your estranged husband have access too?

Have you contacted the local council?

Do you have any disability/health issues?

You may be entitled to assitance for re-housing - as I said, I am happy to assist with advice - it is only through the forum, but I am sure I can make some suggestions for you to get that much desired new "independent" life.

As much as you love your parents and undoubtedly, they will love you too, you will want to get back to what is normal as soon as you can and have a more relaxed relationship with them. That is natural and will almost certainly be possible with some investigation.

Please post back, if you want some suggestions and I will reply tomorrow morning.

Please try to relax and believe me, there will be a light there somewhere, we need to find the switch though!!

Most of the posters here have been through bankruptcy so will be able to give empathy and share what they did with you. Outside of that are the forum experts who are in practice and they are amongst the best in the UK! Make a point of tapping into their free expertise and see where you can go.

Night, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."

Edited by - Housing on 15 December 2009 22:34:54
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 16 December 2009 :  09:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to answer your question
yes you could go BR
but as has been said there are other options that may be open to you depending on your DI Disposable Income after paying fo food rent clothes etc.
any joint loans mortgages or overdrafts you had will likely have been joint and several meaning if your OH has been BR then you are liable for them and they should all be eligible for inclusion in BR
the secured loans will become unsecured when the property is sold and will all be included
this forum has 2 Professional experts to help
Paul Johns from RevivaUK www.revivauk.com
and mel at jones giles www.jonesgiles.co.uk
either will gladly give advice on your position and guide you through what can be a troubling time

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurman)
RevivaUK helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page