Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 any way out for us other than bankruptcy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jw3
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2010 :  11:44:23  Show Profile  Visit jw3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have set up a dmp for my and my hubby's credit cards. We owe around 100,000 unsecured and experienced financial difficulties when my hubby lost his job end 2008, despite for applying for 500 jobs he is still uneployed and worse still in March 2009 I broke a verterbrae in my back and have just discovered that there is not much that can be done for me. The pain and restricted movement make it impossible for me to work and although I have been paid up to know by my amazing emplyers they can no longer continue to do so. The only income we will have coming in is disability and carers allowance not enough to be able to continue to pay the DMP.
I have managed to keep all mortgage payments up to date and am desperate not to loose my house, I have two kids and don't want them to go through that upheavel if there is any other way, one has a serious heart condition which any stress can effect.
Is there any way out for us other than bankruptcy. The house may have a very small amount of equity, no mre than 5000. The DMP is up to date and I have only been paying £145

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2010 :  11:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will you be able to keep up with the mortgage if your husband doesn't find work?
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2010 :  09:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi JW

sorry to read about your predicament, our thoughts are with you

the DMP is set at a nice level for the amount of outstanding debt.

as long as you can maintain the mortgage payments, it is likely that you will be able to stay in the hosue even in bankruptcy. If you cannot keep the payments up I would suggest contacting Richard Housing

Due to your childs health conditions and the regular hospital visits that you may have to make the OR will allow you to keep a car (upto a value of about 2K)

as a last roll of the dice you may consider asking your mortgage provider for a 6 month holiday payment, this will give you time to arrange your bankruptcy.

for the peace of mind and support try and speak to one of the experts on this forum (paul @ reviva or Mel @ John Giles)

good luck and regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2010 :  15:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is equity in the house, then it is possible that the OR will want to realise this.

However, I believe they usually give you 12 months grace if you have young children.

If there is little or no equity, then you will need to find someone to buy the beneficial interest which costs £1 plus £211 costs. That will effectively take the house out of BR.

However, I would suggest that you get the house valued.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page