Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi, I am on a Iva and beacuse we have had problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

melanie6
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2010 :  14:49:14  Show Profile  Visit melanie6's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am on a Iva and beacuse we have had problems for a while we are finding it hard to pay them. I have spoken to my iva department and they hav advised that to be honest we cant afford it. If we go bankrupt do I loose my house? car etc? I do have 3 children under the age of 7!. Please help.Many thanks

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2010 :  15:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi melanie

welcome to the forum,

your situation is not uncommon unfortuantly some people who have tried an IVA find that they cannot see it through, no one will think anything worse of you at least you have tried one of the options

http://www.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=9972#43409

this is a recent link from someone else, entitled help by poxy this should answer some of your questions if not repost a question and i am sure someone will try to help

regards and good luck on the path ahead

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2010 :  16:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Melanie and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your IVA. Has your IP offered to do a variation to see if your payments can be lowered? How long have you been in an IVA and is there any particular reason why you cannot now afford the payments?

As regards bankruptcy, if your house is in negative equity then you may not lose it as long as you keep up the mortgage and any secured loan payments on it. If it does have equity then I believe you are given up to 12 months grace to find alternative accommodation as you have young children.

If your car is worth £2k or less, then you should be ok to keep it as long as it is essential.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Steve Thatcher

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2010 :  15:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Steve Thatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Melanie, can you post a few details about your property and we can advise you better. What is it worth, what is secured against it, incl both mortgages and secured loans, what are your secured repayments and can you afford them.

Steve Thatcher
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2010 :  15:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Melanie,

Welcome to the forum.

I am happy to try to talk you through any housing issues in cyber space...

In addution to the thread that Steve has sent, have you any health issues, have you any children/dependents of school age, and are there any arrears on the first or second charge?

Regards, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and hero of mine!!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page