Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Talking of Tax....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve65
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2010 :  20:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Steve65's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... my question is, if I'm planning on going BR in the next month or so and I can't pay my tax bill due January, what happens to July's tax bill when half the tax bill is due again, such are the rules for being self employed. Do I put down against my list of creditors the amount due now plus the figure that is due in July?

Would I also add to that figure, the 5% levy the Inland Revenue put on a bill if it's not paid February if I haven't filed for BR by that time?

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2010 :  21:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you list HMRC as a creditor on your SOA for the amount due as per your tax return, the 5% levy is irrelevant to the OR.
Once you are BR the tax due is just another debt, when july comes you should not get any demand from HMRC and if you do just let the OR know that they have contacted you regarding a debt that has been included in your BR

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurman)
RevivaUK helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2010 :  21:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep all tax that is due, or ever will be due on your earnings up until the date of the bankruptcy order will be part of the bankruptcy order.

You will start completely afresh the day after the bankruptcy order as if that was your first day of self employment
Go to Top of Page

leakie

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2010 :  06:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve 65

The July Tax is what you pay HRMC in advance,
therefore should not become a debt.

As Debtinfo has said, you are free to start up again after BR,
Also as Chester has said just pass it on to the OR,
I was BR in the January 2009 I did not receive or pay anything to HRMC in the July.

All the best

Leakie
Go to Top of Page

Steve Thatcher

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2010 :  11:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Steve Thatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those on PAYE the following might help also:-

In addition to the tax which is not going to be paid, the Official Receiver will write to the HMRC to advise of the bankruptcy and this will result in the HMRC issuing a nil tax code if the bankrupt is on PAYE. The code lasts for the rest of the tax year in which you were made bankrupt.

The effect of the nil tax code is that the employer will not take any further tax from you for that year. The reason for this is HMRC will be recovering the whole of your tax for the current year.

It does not follow that your employer will know that you are bankrupt as a nil tax code can be issued for a number of reasons. It also does not mean that not tax is due.

Any tax that you do not have collected via the PAYE system will now be collected by the Official Receiver via an income payments agreement of order. If for instance you have an income payments agreement for £200, and you have tax that is not being collected for £300, the Official Receiver will collect the £200 and the £300. The taking of the additional tax will cease as soon as your tax code changes again, at the start of the new tax year

Steve Thatcher
Go to Top of Page

Steve65
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2010 :  12:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Steve65's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page