•Bankruptcy Information Center
•What is Bankruptcy?
•Is Bankruptcy right for me?

•How to declare Bankruptcy?
•What happens to my assets?
•Bankruptcy and credit rating


•Bankruptcy News

Media Room:
•Press releases
•Media Coverage

•About BankruptcyHelp
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forum Questions
 Hi. Im currently considering BR after a very messy divorce
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2011 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Im currently considering BR after a very messy divorce from my ex-wife. I have custody of my two sons and live in the family home. I'm currently in an IVA trying to pay the bills but I am struggling. My exwife has a charge on the property of 50% of the propertys equity and is demanding that I sell the house and pay her money (she is a witch by the way). I have a £360k mortgage on the property and the house would probably value at arounf £435 in todays market. My question is, if I were to go BR is there a chance I could keep my home (with my kids) and clear the charge and the IVA? I know its a big ask and I'm not trying to cheat anyone but I cannot see any other option. The IVA and charge would take me over the value of the property and disposable income is nil. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Many thanks

forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 16 December 2011 :  06:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi potless,

I'm sorry you're struggling with your IVA. If there has been a change in your income and expenditure then you need to speak to your Insolvency Practitioner straight away for help. You may be able to reduce your monthly payments.

If you declare bankruptcy, then the Official Receiver who deals with your bankruptcy will want your share of any equity. The bankruptcy will only deal with unsecured debts, not charging orders.

Please speak to your IP and you can also give an expert a call on here for a chat.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Senior Member

1159 Posts

Posted - 03 January 2012 :  07:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a consent order signed by a judge for the financial aspect of the divorce? If not, I would argue for a larger portion than 50% if you are looking after the children & have all this debt. Also, that a mesher order be put in place so that the money for your ex is only due after the youngest turns 18.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06