•Bankruptcy Information Center
•What is Bankruptcy?
•Is Bankruptcy right for me?

•How to declare Bankruptcy?
•What happens to my assets?
•Bankruptcy and credit rating


•Bankruptcy News

Media Room:
•Press releases
•Media Coverage

•About BankruptcyHelp
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forum Questions
 Can my mother, who is in a nursing home with Altziemers, declare herself bankrupt ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  15:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Annie.07's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am enquiring on behalf of my mother who is in a nursing home, she has around £1400 in a bank account she has two debts of about £2000 each can she declare herself bankrupt,she also has Altziemers and doesn't remember getting into these debts ?


United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  15:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome.

I would suggest that you need to speak to an expert about this (initial advice is free) but it may be that a Debt Relief Order would be best for her. Does she have a house at all or was this sold to pay for her nursing needs.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page

forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  19:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Annie,

Has any regular payments been paid to these creditors?

Have you power of attorney?

You could approach the creditors and tell them of the situation and make an offer to settle offering them what your mum can afford, either a regular payment or lump sum.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

forum expert

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  11:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Blackie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Annie.07

In addition to the comments made above, it may be useful to complete a Debt and Mental Health form to send to the creditors as they may be prepared to write off some, if not all, of the debt.

Good luck

John Blackadder

For help and advice on the easiest and most effective way to a debt free future, please telephone me on FREEPHONE 0800 298 0253
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06