Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi everyone. I hope someone can advise me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JackieChang
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  06:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I hope someone can advise me on my current situation.

I currently owe £60k through loans and credit cards and am paying £800 a month through a DMP. I run my own company and this has ceased to trade in the last couple of months. I have now found a new perm role that will still allow me to cover the DMP.

The problem is the company owes the HMRC £4k corp tax from last year and I am about to find out the corp tax due in Dec this year. As I have paid myself dividends I believe I am liable for the corp tax too. Which will mean my total debt will be approx £75k.

I own my own home which I believe is currently in about £10k negative equity - house will be valued on Monday to confirm.

I think it is best for me to declare myself bankrupt - well maybe wait for HMRC to force me to?

Questions are - can I declare myself bankrupt? Having the new perm role will that mean I can't?

Also should I wait for HMRC to do it or carry out the process myself?

admin
Forum Admin

239 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  08:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone provide an answer here?

admin
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2011 :  08:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Is your new role as an employee? or director?

I suggest you contact one of the experts for advice.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  17:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
You are correct in that CT will be due on the profits, which then gives the dividends, which are then taxed at whatever rate you're on.

There are no barriers to declaring yourself bankrupt, apart from the fact that liabilities should be more than £750 in England and Wales. Having another job is no barrier, if it means that you can pay into a DMP at £800 per month, then it would be likely that you'd get an IPA for a similar amount, but after 3 years that would be it.

Regarding the company, it has ceased trading, but who stopped it? did you, or has a creditor wound it up? either way, if declaring bankruptcy you would have to resign as a director, and you wouldn't be able to be a director whilst an undischarged bankrupt as it's one of the restrictions.

You could of course wait for HMRC to do it, but that could take anything from a year to many years, during which time you are dealing with your creditors.

The only other observation, is that even when a company is trading at a loss it can still pay salaries, but dividends can only be paid from profits, so an OR would look at the fact that the company must have been making a profit for dividends to be paid, but has since ceased trading, an OR may wonder if that contributed to the company failing or was it a combination of other factors.

Big Al
Insolvency examiner with the Insolvency service from April 2008 - July 2010.

If you need help completing SOA's(statement of affairs) or PIQ's(preliminary information questionnaire) if you've been declared bankrupt, or anything else and you're within 30 miles or so of Warrington, then please contact me via my contact details in the expert page for futher details"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page