Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Worried I will be cut off. Going into hospital for 3 weeks.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  17:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put my phone bill on my SOA which is £35 a month but the bill is overdue. Can I pay it or can a relative pay it for me? I am worried I will be cut off. I need it shortly to keep me entertained in Hospital for 3 weeks!

Thanks

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  17:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are planning on keeping the contract you or a relative need to pay it ASAP. If not the phone company may well disconnect you and are unlikely to reconnect you due to your BR.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  18:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Tracey has said, you need to pay this if you want to keep it. Otherwise, you can let it be written off in the bankruptcy, but you would need to sort out a PAYG.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  20:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ladies,

I was just not sure if it would be seen as a preferential payment. I have put it on my SOA so I am happy for it to go into the BR. the company is 3 and i wouldn't want to lose it as I rely on my phone to enterain me but they do a PAYG option and they are happy to let me go onto that instead.

As I paid £50 towards my phone when I got it and they only cost the phone company £103 to buy they have stated I can keep that and they will only disconnect my SIM if I can't keep my number

SO should I just do that? If I can keep the same level of service and write off the £34 a month id rather do that and it looks like their PAYG service will do that.

Edited by - pcoventry on 05 May 2012 20:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  20:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all about affordability. If you can afford it, keep it, if you think you may struggle, then let the whole lot go into the bankruptcy and start fresh.

By the way, hope you're ok and the hospital visit goes well.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  20:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Viki. I thought that I would be told to shut it down.

I am with a company who pay you to post on their forums (giffgaff) so the PAYG service they provide is effectively free for me to have a £10 a month PAYG service. But id rather stay with 3.

I am suspected of having a stroke and I have nerve problems which make it hard for me to walk some days. I hope they find out whats wrong - thanks for your thoughts :)

Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  20:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just though that now I am on benefits It would be wise to let it go.. especially as my current PAYG phone that I got in preparation is now going so well. But they don't do enough data for me and 3 do all you can eat on PAYG

can I call 3 and ask them to terminate it? or do I have to wait for the OR to do that? It's scary ( and new) for me and I don't want to do anything and get shouted at ( or have it extended because I didn't play by the rules)
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  20:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Viki says you need to decide whether it's affordable to you. Only you can make that decision and you need to bear in mind that you won't be able to get another contract phone for a few years.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  20:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Tracey,

I don't think I really need one to be honest. I don't use the minutes that I am getting now. ALl my family are on 3 contracts so they get free 3-3 calls so I won't ever be without them. I use texts and the internet more than anything.

I can't do anything until Monday but do you think I should call 3 and start the ball rolling? ( they know I was going BR not that I actually have)

Or just wait?
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  22:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could call them and let them know that you no longer want the contract.

If you didn't list it in your unsecured creditors list, then tell the OR when you have your meeting. Even though it will be covered whether you listed it or not, the OR will need the details.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  22:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay I will do that Monday.

I did list it. I listed everything that I owed to everyone at that exact time.

The fact it will be covered even if not listed is interesting as I think I left a council tax bill out from a short term let I had.
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  23:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice.

my partners paid it and I gave her the cash. I'm going to keep it. I've been offered a reduced amount of minutes and texts for £20 a month which I will take - it's the same as I would have to pay on PAYG anyway and I get to keep some form of credit open. I want to try and add something to my file for the next 6 years!
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  08:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can keep your 3 contract going then do so - I'm with them and love the 'All you can eat' data plan!

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  08:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey, whats with the new name?
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  10:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long story debtinfo!!! Suffice it to say that because of problems off forum it was necessary.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  10:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh dear, glad your still able to post though
Go to Top of Page