Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Mortgage payments etc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dalgreen
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  09:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have asked this question in a previous thread, but think it must have gone un noticed.

We had a letter from the trustee's solicitor yeaterday saying that an application for sale and possession had been filed at the court. We do not have the date yet.
My husband and I have decided that we will not contest this on the day, and let the trustee take the house. We have had 2 years of backwards and forwards offers for BI and have not been able to meet the Trustee's demands.
So we have decided to move on and try and put the whole horrible experience behind us.
I need to know now if we should stop mortgage payments, life insurance (only pays the mortgage if one us dies) and the buildings insurance.

I am unsure of the time scale of things, ie court date.
Should the Trustee or solicitor be told of our intentions, so that the mortage company wont persue for payments?

Please can someone advise me on this.

Edited by - dalgreen on 24 May 2012 09:28:14

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  09:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are going to be leaving, then I advise you stop the mortgage payments asap, save up your rental deposit and moving costs from this money.

You can tell the OR what you are doing.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

dalgreen
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  09:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Viki.W
How long would it be for the mortgage company to start chasing for payments ? and what do I do when they do ?
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  09:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you've never missed a payment, then apart from the letters and phone calls from them, they won't go for repossession for at least 6 months.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

dalgreen
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  09:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not so sure with Northern Rock (NRAM) !
We have never missed a payment.
I guess if the letters come I can ignore them really, but if the phone calls come, maybe I should tell them ?
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  17:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had 3 NRAM mortgages.

They aren't exactly speedy. Although most in the offices were up front and down to earth when I spoke to them.
Know nearly all of them to speak to by now ;-)
Go to Top of Page

dalgreen
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  20:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have settled on the fact that we will pay junes mortgage payment, then no more. In the meantime pack up and start looking for a private landlord. By the time July payment is missed we may well have a court date.
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  21:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats sad.
My main concern after health was my home.

I hope all works out well
Go to Top of Page

dalgreen
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  21:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is sad is all the affect this stress is having on my health. This is only a house, and only 5 years into the mortgage its not so hard to walk away from really.
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  23:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I look back I realise how much effect it had on me, and realise what it must mean to you.
The biggest thing I think we have all come to realise is that once the decision is made its usally a lot easier getting by.

I hope things work out fine for you.

I for one will always chat if you need to 'vent'
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  06:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck from me, hope your health improves soon.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  08:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've let a few propertys go due to BR, and although that didn't include my main home, I can honestly say that it hasn't really bothered me, which has been surprising.

I came to terms with it quite quickly, and in a way it was quite a relief.

I hope finding a new place comes relatively easily.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  08:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must admit that keeping my home was one reason I didn't go bankrupt. I'd hate to leave it.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  09:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was 'fortunate' in my position that it was in negative equity.

I fought for a long time against BR, and my mortgage companies until I made my decision.

With that wonderful thing called hindsight, I could've saved a lot of money, maybe not gone bankrupt, or at least had a lot of money in my estate to pay creditors if I'd gone BR a lot earlier.

I called my trustee days after their appointment (much to their surprise as they often have to 'chase' people). Opened up an early rapport, and bought back my BI very quickly.

I would urge anyone in a similar position to start dialogue immediately.

quote:
Originally posted by Niobe

Must admit that keeping my home was one reason I didn't go bankrupt. I'd hate to leave it.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Go to Top of Page

dalgreen
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  10:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest from day one our trustee has seemed un interested in our situation, the OR was more understanding, but in the last 3 years we have been passed through 3 different trustees. Information had been lost along the way we think. This trustee has been on the case since last March. Has sent us letters asking for things the either the OR, or the other 2 trustees already had, we have the documents to show that. This trustee didnt even know the date we were discharged, as he sent a letter asking if we had any windfalls, keeping in mind we had been discharged almost 1 and 1/2 years by the time he took over. The house was in negative equity when we went bankrupt but this trustee said the equity takes affect from his date of knowing, which was virtually 2 years later. I am sure that cant be right, but what little voice we have against the money men ? none ! When we spoke to a solicitor this week, he said, in his words "it looks like this trustee is being very awkward" He also agreed we wouldnt get anywhere with the situation and we must consider putting our selves first. So we have reached that decision. Bricks and mortar out way the importance of being able to smile again.
Go to Top of Page

wellerchic
wellerchic

135 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  17:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Discharged Feb 2010
My home is being passed back to me because of the negative equity however I wished that the OR would taken ownership and take the property. I cannot afford the up keep of the property. I have spoken to the OR who has told me I can sell the property when I get ownership back but surely this is going to cost me and I am concerned about the Neg Equity. Is this automatically covered by my BR when the property sells.

Thank you x

There is light at the end of the tunnel, I can actually see it !!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page