Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 The OR has decided how much I need to live on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stubie
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2012 :  00:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
£1095. That's the magic figure. My rent and council tax are £700. Not much left.

My entitlement and benefits income is £1238. I now have an IPA of £143 pm.

If I want to quit benefits and get a proper job (difficult at 62 but I'm up for it) I could earn another £500 per month probably......and hand it all over to tax, NI and the OR! What a disincentive!

If they only relaxed the rules and allowed people to keep some of their increases, I for one would be contributing to society again by paying tax and NI, the tax-payer would be saved £15Kpa, the government would benenfit too from this and the tax and NI as well as taxes on my greater spending power, the creditors and insolvency service would have a larger pot whilst leaving me a little extra for all the extra hard work I'm putting in. And incentivising me to earn even more.

Nah! I'll stay at home, do nothing and have the same money!

Ridiculous!

Regards
Stuart

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2012 :  06:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OR is only there to set a standard across the board and assess the situation as it stands, they are not there to incentivise you or tell you to take or not take a job, that is down to your own choice and self respect
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2012 :  08:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I wouldn't let an IPA put me off taking a job but as Debtinfo says it's down to your choice.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

stubie
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2012 :  09:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you're right, I do need to get off benefits and back to work asap and this is the first step.

Regards
Stuart
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  11:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a job is not always about how much you can earn (although it helps) but giving someone a feeling of worth and contributing to society. There are days when I think I would be better off on benefits but that is not me. I have been lucky to have been able to have worked all my life and at least I can look back and say I have not had to rely on government assistance to support myself. Although saying that, if I won the lottery tomorrow I could quite easily never work again. I wouldn't miss getting up early in the mornings or having to travel 4 hours a day to get to work in the slightest.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  12:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said xmas baby.

I'd never work again if I won a substantial amount on the lottery!!

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  12:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, even if I won Euromillions rollover of 120million, I think I'd still work, albeit not what I do at present!

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  12:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd buy a huge property and open a cat sanctuary if I won a huge amount on the lottery!

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  13:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be out of this country like a shot!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  13:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'd would be to expand my dog fostering - buy a small holding and rescue more animals especially horses. My home has now reached its capacity with 3 full grown ex puppy farm labs and a 13 week old lab puppy...I have been informed by my other half that no more are to arrive..... but who knows...both sons will be at Uni and moved out come September, that leaves more space....

To be honest half a million would do - i would not want to be greedy...but i would most definately give up work and concentrate on rescuing animals

Melanie Nicholas CertDR
30+years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service and the past 8 years with a number of IP firms.

If I can be of any help to you in any way or answer any queries, concerns or worries you may have, or with completing the forms for bankruptcy, please do not hesitate to get in touch -I can be contacted via the experts tab
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  13:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have three rescue dogs - a lurcher, a Heinz 57(with some Staffie) and a very feisty Rusell. We also have a guide dog when our daughter and her husband are here - that's a houseful and I wouldn't be doing anymore at the moment!

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  13:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've only got the one cat and as much as I want at least one more (rescued obviously) I don't think Harry would like it. I keep toying with the idea but OH isn't keen and I'd hate to upset Harry as he's quite sensitive to change - he pulled out a lot of his fur last year when the neighbours had building work done.

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  13:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd continue travelling, but always return to blighty.

Id also consider your cat sanctuary to be 'work' ;-)

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  14:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be long gone from here - the country has gone to the dogs and I really feel for youngsters venturing into the workplace today and looking for somewhere to live.

A cat sanctuary would be a labour of love (if you like cats) I wouldn't class it as work as such.

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  14:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you've missed my point about 'work'. Not to worry.

As regards our great country, it might seem like its gone to the dogs, but its a long way off the plight of some countries.

I've travelled extensively, and would still return to blighty.
Depends where you live I guess, but that's what makes us all unique I'm sure you'll agree.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2012 :  15:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be in the USA if I had the chance - travelled there extensively and have some good friends on both sides of the country.

I didn't miss your point and appreciate it was tongue in cheek - I just don't consider looking after animals as work!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: