Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 should i go bankrupt??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

staceb

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2008 :  18:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice please???!

When my partner left me,he also left me with some debt,an since then i began to struggle making payments.Finally i went into debt management but after only a couple of months i was really struggling to make the payments.i went to citizens advice and they advised me to take on the debt companies myself,rather than paying a company.The lady i saw was very unsympathetic!
i have recently sent letters to all my creditors,an three of them have refused my new offer!
i have also had letters threatening court!
I know there are lots of other people in worse situations than me,but i do feel like i'm sinking,and not sleeping because i'm so worried!
i've read up on bankruptcy and that sounds scarey too!
is there anyone who can give me some advice??!! xx

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2008 :  18:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, can you say how much you owe, and whether you own a property or anything else of value. This will help the experts give you more accurate advice.

I can't believe the CAB told you to deal with the creditors yourself! If you wanted to carry on with a DMP with a non fee paying company you could contact either the CCCS or Payplan.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Nat

367 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2008 :  18:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stace
I couldn't possibly advise you what to do as everyone's situation is different and think that you should speak to an expert first.
But my debt all occurred from my ex husband and my solicitor at the time suggested that i consider IVA and BR but i was a bit too proud and thought that i could manage. Well over 2 years later after throwing money away and getting further into debt and having a failed IVA behind me i am just about to go BR. It's not an easy decision to make but once you make whatever decision you choose you can at least look forward.

Takecare
Nat
Go to Top of Page

staceb

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  08:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I owe around £7,500.to be honest i was totally shocked about CAB,i had heard so much about how helpful they were! when i went in,i had written out everything i owed and to who,she looked at it and said,oh well now that wil be a lesson to you!!! lol (i gotta laugh!) but soo not what i needed to hear!!

i dont own anythin of value,my tv is even crap n second hand lol!! and i dont have any savings or anything like that.i dont own a car or property,i live in a house share!
it just seems like going BR is the best thing i can do now,its sort of like all the creditors are finally gettin on top of me n i am worried!!!!
thankyou both for replying x x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  09:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Staceb,

I did not have much joy with my local CAB, infact they were totally unsure about the BR route and how to go about it. He did not know that you could fill stuff in on line and like you i was asked to write to the creditors myself, which i had been doing for about 18months. In the end I took it upon myself to get us sorted.
Have you thought about speaking to one of the other experts sometimes they can offer better advice on the phone and there may be more options for you. Only a thought. If you do decide to go BR we will help you fill in the forms, which ever route you take your not alone.

And Remember To Keep Smiling
Jo :)

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"
You can read my updated blog here:
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

staceb

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  09:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi needafriend,
thank you for replying,i know what you mean about CAB,she just fobbed me off when i said about the option of going bankrupt,even though after working my wages out,i only have around £50 a month left! so when i wrote my offers to the creditors it wasn't a shock they said no!! it just seems that i wil never get to pay them off!! god i could kill my ex if i could find him haha!!
my brother has offered to help pay for bankruptcy,and although i have read up on it loads,i still wouldnt know where to start!!
will i still be able to go bankrupt if some of the companies accept my offer? i am also due for promotion and wil be getting a small rise,can i still go bankrupt??
i'm glad i found this site,just show's how many people are going through this stress,its bloody horrible! x x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  10:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stace

I had offers accepted before BR but to be honest i was using food money to pay them and so it was a viscious circle.

You can go BR with that amount as far as im aware, and the forms can be done online at you leisure, here is the link:

https://www.insolvencydirect.gov.uk/isolv/

Go to this site, register and you can at your leisure fill in all 12 sections i think it is and save and add when you want until your ready to submit and print.
It was so easy to do, i did so that is saying something. You will have to ring your local court and find our if you make an appt or if you can turn up on the day on a first come first served basis. As your on low money you may be able to get the court fee back £145 again ask for the form that you need for that but you have 6 months after going BR to claim the fee back. You will still have to pay i would imagine the £350 but at least its a start.
Your not alone on here, i have written a blog to try and explain so far what we have gone through, but i do know where your coming from.

I used to wish i could just curl up into a ball and that be the end, my kids and my OH have given me the strength to get through this and like you this site has also been a life saver.:)

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"
Go to Top of Page

staceb

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  10:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi jo,i have just read through your blogs and i can see why your status is now EXPERT haha!! you sound like my mum,just brill and dont know it haha!!
so my rise wont make a difference?? the thing is my brother wont be able to give me the money for a couple of months,and the letters off creditors come almost everday,should i just ignore them until i can file bankruptcy??
its sort of like i want to hide away,then let someone else sort it all out for me,how stupid does that sound!!!
thankyou for the link,if i need any help filling it in am sooooo gonna mider you haha!!
x x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  10:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stace
That is fine i dont mind thats what im here for.
There is no other way you can get the fees together before, it can take a while for the credit companies to do anything like court etc, that depends on what you have received by now, we took 12 weeks from thinking to doing so i would say GO FOR IT.
If you want tell them but i waited and did not say anything, i did write and explain that i needed 2 months to get myself sorted then i would get back in touch, that gave me a bit of grace, then we went BR.
I did still get letters and calls but i just said im trying to get it sorted, i asked for 2 months and gave the date as the 1st of Sept.

Good luck, and thanks for the words about my blog. I try and make people laugh, life is way too short and i just wanted people to feel at ease.

Go to Top of Page

staceb

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  10:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i am just gonna do it,with the help of my mum of course!! but there is no way i can get the money together before,so ill just have to wait for my brother,bless him!
you have been a help so thankyou very much,i'm sure i'll be asking more questions ;-) x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2008 :  11:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck Stace,

Your very welcome!

Keep us informed on how things go and dont forget to keep asking those questions.

Edited by - Needafriend on 07 September 2008 11:12:40
Go to Top of Page

staceb

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2008 :  19:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got yet another letter today an everytime i get one i s**t myself!! this company has sort of accepted my offer,and i know i said i was ignoring them now until my bankruptcy its scarey!!!
i will be up for promotion in the next few weeks and was just wanting to make sure if this will affect me going bankrupt,if anyone can help??
Go to Top of Page

366 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2008 :  10:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you are going through....always getting the letters through the door.....just try and file them all together and if you go bankrupt you can then forget all about them!

Regarding your promotion, this will not make any difference to you going Bankrupt. However, obviously your income with increase, and therefore you may have more disposable income at the end of each month, which, if it is a large amount, could mean that you will be offered an IVA as an option as your debt is £7,500 rather than bankruptcy.

But, if it is only a small amount and your disposable income stays at £50 a month then bankruptcy should be the way forward...

Hope that makes sense!
Go to Top of Page

staceb

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2008 :  10:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi 369 it does make sense...i think!! haha
to be honest i dont really know what IVA is,but i thought you had to be in a lot more debt than i am??
i was on debt managemet and that was £100 a month,i dont think even with my promotion ill have that much left.
are you going through bankruptcy??
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2008 :  10:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I am wrong anybody but I think the debt has to be at least £15,000.

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2008 :  10:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Staceb

Check this out on the IVA forum

http://www.iva.co.uk/guide_starting_an_iva.asp

x

Maizie