Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 credit reference - discharge from bankruptcy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2009 :  17:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my updated credit file from Experian.

They updated it with my discharge from bankruptcy but they do not do this automatically: you need to tell them by sending in the letter from the Insolvency Service stating discharge (EDLET/EDNOT)

To make sure anyone searching my file knows that I no longer actually owe anything to anyone on my credit file I also got Experian to add two Notices of Correction saying that I was discharged and that I did not owe anything.

If any use, please do use the following templates if anyone else wants to do the same sort of thing on discharge.

“I, NAME , make it known that I have been discharged from bankruptcy as of DATE ”

“I, NAME , make it known that all debts showing on my credit file were included in my bankruptcy and that any accounts will in future be conducted satisfactorily”

I think this can only help draw a line under the experience and may make a difference when applying for credit in the future. Personally, the ONLY credit I might want in the future is a mortgage. Nothing else, thanks!

I am still dealing with Equifax and will need to contact Call Credit, too.

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2009 :  17:32:18  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Pix1,

Many thanks for the information. Perhaps I should check my credit file just in case?

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2009 :  17:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pix

Thanks for the info too, once we are discharged whenever that is i will do the same.

Did you get the letter from the OR and copy it and send off to them.

Jo
x

Needafriend says:

Just always remember one thing, Your not alone, your not the first and you wont be the last.

22 Weeks down

30 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:~ Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2009 :  17:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the credit reference agencies automatically have updated my files with my ED date on, (I have not had to write to them) its just the only correct piece of info on them ALL my accounts are showing as active and in default! I just cannot get the enthusiasm to sort them out, its too much hassle and I never intend to apply for credit or a mortgage ever again so I am just leaving them be!
Go to Top of Page

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2009 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julian,

I assumed your bankruptcy was quite a long time ago but if I am of any help I am only too happy.

Needafriend,

I asked Experian to update my credit file that I was discharged. They wrote back asking for proof of a court certificate OR the letter from the Insolvency Service. The certificate costs money so I sent a copy of the letter. They then eventually updated my file but did not put on the Notices of Correction. I wrote back and they then did the notices. By the way, Equifax are kicking up more of a fuss. They ask for the court certificate but I wrote back including a copy of the letter and letting them know Experian only require a copy of the letter from IS I asked them to amend their rules to allow the same. I am waiting to hear back from them.

All the court and credit account references on the Experian file state Notice of Correction at the end of them.

Jane.l, Do you mean they automatically updated your credit file to say you were made bankrupt? If so, they did that with me, too. Only thing is they don't automatically update the discharge as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

movin on
Average Member

United Kingdom
946 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2009 :  20:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey Pix1

What a great post and so informative. I will certainly be taking your advice when my time comes.

Onwards and Upwards is the way im going :-0)

From "Moneyworries" to "Movin On" in 3 months is fantastic :-))

xx
Go to Top of Page

antp

United Kingdom
216 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2009 :  15:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with regards to experian, etc updating your file they will certainly do this but it really is not enough. they do automatically update the file if you've been discharged but only with the date of the discharge. (for some reason, even though they will state it on the file they dont believe the OR when they notify them but they'll believe all the other flannel that the creditors may have got wrong - so you have to send them proof of the discharge to get any of records with the creditors changed - good eh?)

the creditors on anyone's file need to be told about your discharge and there really are only 2 ways to do this:

1) send the CRAs a copy of both your BRO and your discharge order (or certificate if you bought one) certificate and ask them to notify the creditors - it MIGHT work.
2) write to all your creditors with the copies enclosed and send via recorded delivery to the respective data administrators of the creditors - This WILL PROBABLY work.

putting a notice of correction on your file is a waste of time, the data controllers are the ones in the wrong if:
1) the date of default is AFTER the date of your bankruptcy.

2) the "satisfied" date is AFTER your discharged date - that is the simple fact of it.

here are some links that will help anybody trying to clean up their credit file - FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER.
i AM IN THE MIDDLE OF DOING THIS.

GOOD LUCK!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=7834483#post7834483

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/bankruptcyfaqs_v3.0_300108.pdf

http://www.ico.gov.uk/tools_and_resources/register_of_datacontrollers.aspx

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/bankruptcyfaqs_v3.0_300108.pdf

Edited by - antp on 10 January 2009 16:02:04
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2009 :  16:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks antp for your info too.

Have a great weekend and good luck with your credit files:-)

Jo
x

Needafriend says:

Just always remember one thing, Your not alone, your not the first and you wont be the last.

23 Weeks down

29 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help with filling out the forms, I&E, Car Valuations, etc, etc, you can read my blog here called:~ Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)

Go to Top of Page

antp

United Kingdom
216 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2009 :  16:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks and the same to you.

JANE.1 IF YOU ARE THINKING OF A FEW YEARS DOWN THE LINE YOU REALLY NEED TO READ THE LINKS IN MY PREVIOUS POST - DONT IGNORE!

HERE'S THE PARTICULAR LINK I MEAN...Scroll up to the heading
"WHY SHOULD I BOTHER"

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=7834483#post7834483
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  13:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, my discharge date WAS listed on my credit files when I received them, I was a bit surprised by this. Its just all the other accounts and info that is wrong!

I have no need to clean my files up up really, I have no intention of applying for credit again, we are in a lovely council house for life, I have 2 bank accounts that suit me fine, I have a pre-paid mobile phone, have had it for over 10 years. I am saving up at the moment for a new car, CASH, cannot wait to walk into the garage and buy a new-ish car with NO finance (though it will take me over a year to save up, lol)

Re: debt collectors still bothering ex-bankrupts, I am not worried at all about this, if any contact me in the future, they will get a copy of my bankruptcy order, I have a load printed out

Edited by - Jane.l on 11 January 2009 13:05:05
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  13:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane

If you do get a visit from any debt collectors dont forget the mention the administration of justice act to them and if they continue you will be forced to call the police.

LOL

Jo
x

Needafriend says:

23 Weeks down

29 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help with filling out the forms, I&E, Car Valuations, etc, etc, you can read my blog here called:~ Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)

Edited by - Needafriend on 11 January 2009 13:07:39
Go to Top of Page

antp

United Kingdom
216 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2009 :  17:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello jane.1 if your not bothered then great - the best way to be.

the way i look at it is for the sake of a few quid on second class recorded delivery letters and 5p per photocopy down the spar it might be saving hassle possibly years down the line, and perhaps your situation might change and you might require some form of credit, eg mobile phone - sometimes it can save you money.

i'm like you, i dont want any credit but why should the creditors try to sell on the debt to more unscrupulous debt chasers who will hassle night and day. one cant know what someone will do and what someone might want in the future.

the links are very interesting, good luck anyway.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page