Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Bank account problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  11:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I was made Bankrupt on 27th Feb. I`m having problems opening a basic bank account. The only bank left is Barclays, as the co-op was one of my creditors....and i have tried everyone else!. I went into Barclays this morning, and although i failed to open one due to my Passport being out of date, the manager did say that it might still be a problem, due to the current economic climate!. I thought that the banks can`t lose, with a basic account, as there isn`t any interest paid, also, you can`t spend what you don`t have, so the bank can only make money on cash you have in your account.

Is it likely that i won`t be able to get a bank account??.

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  11:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have one close to you, you could always try Yorkshire Bank, I believe they are ok with BR. You have to go into the branch though.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  11:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also try Northern Rock. I've no idea what they're like, but their website says that they will open a current account for anyone over 13. I couldn't find anything about bankruptcy on the website.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

21 IPA payments made, 15 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  11:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. Luckily at the moment, i`m using an account my son opened (tut tut!)....thank God for chip `n` pin, huh??!.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle83

258 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  12:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did co-op definately say no? I had a feeling that someone else who had them as a creditor still managed to get a cashminder account...
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  12:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update.. Yorshire bank said the don`t offer accounts to bankrupts.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  14:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that - they must have changed their criteria.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  14:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Sparkle83, I wasn`t aware that i might have been able to keep the co-op account. I cut the card up, and sent it off to the O.R, with the others, as soon as i noticed online that i owed them money...(Doh!).
Go to Top of Page

pigsick
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2009 :  23:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I was made BR on 12th Feb I already had a Barclays account, but I was told that the Co-op were very good in the case of people who where BR opening accounts, I approached the Co-op went through the form on the phone, then got a letter saying at the present moment in time they could not offer me an account. Which i was shocked at as every one had said the Co-op is the best bank for BR's. During all this time I was still using my Barclays account as OR did not have any interest in it. I am in the process of opening a new account with Barclays which will not have a cheque book, I will only have a Debit Card that you can use in shops and internet, they dont know yet if i can have internet banking, they are looking into it. But to be fair to them they have helped me. So give Barclays a go and see what they say.

May be one of the experts can confirm but i thought that by law everyone was entitled to a basic bank account or as BR's does that not apply.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2009 :  11:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be worth a phonecall to the Co-op Memphisd56. If they are happy for you to carry on using the account ask for them to send you a new card.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2009 :  11:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Skippy....I will give it a go, and let you know what happens.
Go to Top of Page

antp

United Kingdom
216 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2009 :  16:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could always get a post office card account, but only benefits and tax credits can be paid into them, no wages.

when i went BR i had to get my tax credits via giro which wasn't a problem, i ended up a few weeks later getting a co op cashminder account, even though I wasn't on the electoral role - i had to send various forms of ID to qualify, this was outlined on the co op's A and B list which they send in the pack.

it might be a case of visiting every bank in the high st., go in put your cards on the table and see what they say, don't go through the signing up process and then tell them you are an undischarged bankrupt as this might be a total waste of time.

don't ring, call in the branch as each branch will have someone that can make a decision there and then regardless of head office "official policy"

each branch will have their own criteria but a call centre wont.

a week after i was discharged i went into lloyds tsb and applied for a business account, before they started to do the credit check i showed them my official BR notice and my discharge notice. they then did the check and sure enough all the defaults showed up (inc lloyds TSB)

The clerk then went to ask the business manager and he said it was OK and I ended up getting the account.

you can pull more strings yourself by calling into the branch instead of ringing.

if its the co op and no branch near then find out the address of the branch near you, or in manchester, and write to them, phone calls are a waste of time and patience most of the time. good luck
Go to Top of Page

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2009 :  17:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if they still do it but the Nationwide Cashbuilder account was bankruptcy friendly. I don't know if it remains so.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2009 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cashbuilder account is only a savings account though isn't it? According to the website, you can only withdraw money over the counter and I don't think it comes with any sort of card.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2009 :  19:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a Cashbuilder account and although you get a cash card it's only a savings account and you can't have direct debits, standing orders etc from it.

Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2009 :  10:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, All. I have just phoned Co-op, and they said that i need to speak to their bankruptcy team. The chap on the phone did say that the account was still open, but they wouldn`t give a replacement card,(i gave mine to the O.R)....until i have my wages or benefits paid in. Not likely, matey!!!, because when i looked at the account on the internet, it shows the loan account i have with them, which is part of my bankruptcy...so i know that as soon as i pay anything in, it`ll get nicked!....i think i`ll hold fire on that account, and look elsewhere. Fortunately, i have the use of my sons account, so i can still have Direct debits paid out,and benefits are paid by giro, so i have plenty of time to look around.

Thanks for all your imput, it`s great that we can work together, to make our lives better!.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page