Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 please tell me if we will lose our pension plans?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

samanthadm
Starting Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2009 :  04:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there, i am reading spemding a lot of time reading through peoples post's, a lot of the time I am reassured, other times, I am freaked out. Could somebody please tell me if we will lose our pension plans? I am a nurse and pay into the NHS pension, and my husband has a council pension. Will we lose what we have paid so far? thank you

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2009 :  07:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there

pensions are exempt from Insolvency and therefore will not be touched or cancelled. In your case you are both in employer related pension schemes and your contributions will continue to be made into the scheme - No worries

Hope thi shas helped answer your concerns

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
email me at melanienicholas@jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

samanthadm
Starting Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2009 :  20:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
phew! thank you Melanie

things . . . can only get better
Go to Top of Page

frosie90

285 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2009 :  21:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Samanthadm,
Just to support Melanie's post. I have an occupational pension. My pension is deducted at source and the OR has no problems with my net salary (which they use for my IPA). I also had couple of frozen private pensions and they have since written to me to say that they have no interest in them. So don't worry.
Best of luck
Rosie
Go to Top of Page

samanthadm
Starting Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2009 :  08:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your responses. I understand that my husband and I will have to declare BR as individuals and I am now content that my husbands military pension which he receives since he retired from the armed forces and our current contributions to local government pension scheme and NHS pension scheme will not be considered.However, should we declare them on our SOAs or leave them off?

Go to Top of Page

frosie90

285 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2009 :  23:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Samanthadm,
Have bumped your last post back into play as /i am conscious that your last question has yet to be answered. I detailed all my private pensions on my form except for my occupational pension as there is no-where to put that, I just put my net salary down which included the payment into my occy pension. The private ones are pensions that wont be paid out for another 14 to 19 years but as you mention your husband's military pension which it sounds like he receives currently? An expert, I am sure, will advise what and how to include onto the form.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2009 :  07:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert but I would think that if he is receiving the pension, it should be noted down as income and taken into consideration.

Not 100% sure though.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

m44uk
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2009 :  10:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I had this conversation with OR yesterday. As long as you have not stashed a lot of money into the pension in the prior year to Bancrupcy and that it is a HMRC recognised scheme you are OK.
Go to Top of Page

frosie90

285 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2009 :  19:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, just did not want to mis-lead Samantha in earlier post as I can only speak about pension schemes where they are still being paid into but do not know about pensions that are currently being paid out as an income. I would imagine, like Kallis said, that the military pension, if being paid out currently, would be classed as income.
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2009 :  20:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be classed the same as any earned Income
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2009 :  20:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is from the insolvency website

31.7.11 Pension Receipts

January 2007

Other income available to the bankrupt can include pension receipts where the bankrupt is already in receipt of the pension income (see Chapter 61, Pension Schemes, paragraphs 61.3 & 61.7) but payments by way of guaranteed minimum pension and payments giving effect to the bankrupt’s protected rights must not be included an any IPA calculation.

Where the official receiver becomes aware that the bankrupt (prior to discharge) is due to receive payment from a pension, the official receiver may seek to agree an IPA to recover any lump sum, or if this is not possible to agree, apply to court for an income payments order to recover any lump sum, and may include other pension payments in the calculation for income in his/her application.

Where an IPA/IPO is in force and the official receiver/trustee becomes aware that a bankrupt is likely to attain retirement age during the period of the IPA/IPO they should be made aware that their pension entitlement may be affected and a variation sought to claim the pension monies in whole or in part (see also paragraph 31.7.52 and Chapter 61, Pension Schemes, paragraph 61.27)

Go to Top of Page

ripski

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2009 :  09:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is worrying. Anyone with actual experience. There are also lots of 'MAYS' The last para says when IPA in force then trustee MAY seek to recoup any funds. Anyone know when or why they would do this and what is the discretionary element.
I had hoped to take early retriment nest year after I am discharged but I will then be the second year of IPA .
I dont want to ask too specific questions re this now of OR or trustee as others on here (when the have done this have stirred up a lot of admin etc) However I prob might have to in order to plan.
Also has anyone offerred and been allowed to pay the 2yrs IPA up front to clear matters A friend with give me the £2000 to do,this When I asked my OR/case manager she had not heard of this happening and did not know
I am also, poss. will get a £15000 inheritance in next few years I asked her if I received this would it be taken. She was definate that once discharged the OR had no interest in any sumsofmoney and even of I wonthe lottery the OR wouldnotbe interested ,only in monthly income She was very definate that I should read the wording on my IPA which states 'inform of monthly income'
Any thoughts /advice re this. please

ripski1
Go to Top of Page

samanthadm
Starting Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2009 :  20:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all, but I am still confused. My husband is in receipt of a military pension with a guaranteed minimum monthly payment which is protected. We will declare it on the SOA and see what the OR says when we get there.

On another matter, based on advise received we have now cancelled all our Direct Debits to all but essentials (utilities, council tax etc) and have drafted letters to all creditors explaining our predicament and asking for accounts to be placed in abeyance. We have changed our phone number and are now saving as much as possible in order to pay a deposit on a rented home and to pay for our BR.

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2009 :  20:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Samantha.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

frosie90

285 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2009 :  21:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck from me too. Sure things will definitely work out for you Samantha. Good, positive and determined step forward with the
cancellation of direct debits and letter to the creditors. I did same and it gave me a good couple of weeks respite. Some creditors were more civil than others. MBNA are ones I found the most difficult but they were the one with the lesser debt??? Good luck. Keep posting.
Rosie
Go to Top of Page

frosie90

285 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2009 :  21:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me again, when I said "good couple of weeks respite". I meant freedom from the calls etc. You made wise move in changing your number. They can write to you all they like, they will all eventually be included in the BR anyway. You will find you will save the BR fees in no time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page